|ChApTeR FoRtY NiNe| Forever A Protector

(A/N: Hi again! Hope your day is going great, and I send platonic hugs (or just polite handshakes) to those that aren't having such a good day D: Maybe this update will brighten up your spirits a bit!!

At the speed I'm going at, you can probably expect monthly updates from now on. I will post an announcement the day before I publish a chapter. Chapter 50 is an important one, but I have a good idea as to what I have to write, so expect that soon.

Thanks for sticking around! <3

-AJ)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Previously~

Bounding through the hallways, I could hear every beat of my heart and feel my shoes bang against the floor with each step. I was hyper aware of everything going on around me, and at first I assumed it was just because of the adrenaline, but then I grew cautious.

I turned around. Nothing.

Catching my breath quickly, I hurried on and decided to not look back. I couldn't afford a detour-my only goal was to get to that bathroom and get that Onigiri.

But I can't believe I was foolish enough to miss the two pairs of eyes that followed my every move.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"She was a wild, wicked slip of a girl. She burned too bright for this world."

-Emily Brontë

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|Reader's POV|

If you walked in on a person shoving rice balls into their pockets in a bathroom, wouldn't you be concerned?

That was the only thing my dumbass, anxious brain was worrying about. What if someone walked in on me?

'Well that isn't even possible. All the nations are recovering in a room far away from me.' Acknowledging the weight on my waist when I stood up, I grabbed my sword and adjusted my belt so its bulging pockets wouldn't obstruct my movements. 'America and Canada are counting on me, gosh darn it. I've got more important things to worry about. What's wrong with me?'

I spun around and began running. Time slowed. Wind rushed past my cheeks, then suddenly stopped. My feet felt nothing but air. As I tipped backwards toward the ground, the man towering in front of me grew more enormous. His broad shoulders and tall, well-built figure loomed over me. The last thing I could catch was his light pink eyes, which were peeking out from under the black field cap over his head. 

The back of my head was numb. I assumed I knew the reason why chills were creeping along my arms, but I was incorrect. Sure, the bathroom tiles were alarmingly frigid, but his steel, murderous glare made my entire body shiver. 

Scratch that. Someone really did walk in on me-and it just so happened to be a huge, beefy murderer. 

As he slowly formed a grin, his face scrunched up and the scar along his cheek followed the movements of his wrinkles. Before I could even have a second to process what was going on, his knees buckled and he raised his arm.

Tucking my arms under my body, I rolled to the side. My muscles finally sensed the danger when his fist collided with the floor. Shards from the tiles jolted into the air. The reverberating crash shook me to the core. I picked myself off the ground and settled into a crouching pose with my palms pressed against the ground.