Ch. 44

Giovanni's pov:
Luc's crying wakes me up from my dream and only after having to hear it for a minute am I reminded that there was no Nadiyah to breastfeed him.

I turn on the light and set him down onto the bed before blankly staring at him. He begins to laugh and his laughter suddenly comes to a stop. He looks to his left and right before beginning to cry.

"Hey," I say picking him up. "What's wrong? You're suppose to be a big man."

His body stars warming up and from the few fits he's thrown with his mother, I could tell this was going to be one of those endless nights.

His crying begins to worsen and he throws the formula I've made away.

I dial Nadiyha's number and it sends me straight to voicemail.

"Shit," I say starting at him.

I go down stairs and a half sleep Elizabeth opens their bedroom door.

"I'm sorry to wake up up," I say sheepishly. "Luc won't stop crying."

"Aw, what happened?" She says looking at Luc.

"He won't stop crying, I don't know what's wrong, usually he stops after a few minutes but this has been going on for about ten minutes, I don't know what to do."

"Here," she says reaching out for him. "Did you try giving him milk?"

"Nadiyah still breastfeed him but he'll take a formula if he's really hungry," I say scratching the back of my head. "He threw the bottle at me."

"He threw it at you?" She asks giggling.

"Well, he attempted to, he's got his mothers strength," I say chucking. "Which isn't strength."

"He probably just misses his mom," she says beginning to calm him down. "Poor Luca." His crying comes to a whimper with Elizabeth's touch.

"So what should I do then?"

"Get Nadiyah to talk to him, it should help him relax. He's probably only freaking out because he hasn't seen or heard her."

I go back into the room and after several attempts calls on Nadiyah, I finally decide to give up.

I had Luc my phone and show him the many pictures I have of her and his whimpering comes to a stop as he stares at the photos.

He slowly lifts the phone up to his face and then hugs it before looking back at me with a goofy smile.

"That's your mama," I say beginning our routine once again. "And I promise you she will be back."

"She's only been gone a day and I miss her like crazy, if it weren't for you, I would probably be throwing a tantrum and crying as well," I say resting my head against the board.

"But she'll be back, she has to, she's got two handsome young men waiting for her back at him. I can just imagine her telling me I'm not young, that I'm old which I'm not," I say pointing to him. "26 isn't old yet, maybe when I hit 50, then I'll be old, right?" I ask.

"I'm crazy, you can't speak yet," I say shaking my head. "I miss your mother so much I'm taking to you."

He stares at the phone oblivious to me at all and lifts the phone up to his mouth before kissing it.

"Mama."