Ch. 71

"You remember, don't you?" Lester asks from the side of the door. "I could tell."

I nod.

"A little bit," I whisper. "It's true. Everything he said was true. I-I don't even.." I can't finish my sentence.

"You don't have to explain to me," he says closing the door behind him. "And you don't have to feel bad either. You did what you did out of love and I think that's what matters most."

"I asked for Leo to shoot me. Asked. I-"

"You put yourself in harms way to protect Luc and I," Giovanni says opening the door. "How much more suffering will you go through for me?" He walks over and sits on the edge of the bed.

"Thank you," is all he says before standing up and walking out.

"He's upset," I say bringing my hands down to my face. "God.."

"Don't think about it," Lester says patting me on the back. "He just needs time to think of everything. Give him time and you rest as well."

He walks out and I lay my back down on the bed and drift off to sleep.
__

I wake back up and feel Giovanni sleeping soundlessly next to me. His arms wrap around my stomach and it feels as if everything was okay again.

My arms drape over his.

"I'm sorry," he says groggily. "I shouldn't have walked out on you."

"I'm sorry too," I say facing him. "The thought of loosing you scares me.."

"You won't ever loose me," he whispers.

He kisses me softly and takes a deep breath.

"Good. We can go back to sleep now."

I wait until he's completely asleep to grab the key he kept hidden and tiptoe out of the room. I make my way downstairs and find exactly what I'm looking for.

I open the interrogation room door and Leo stands up smiling at me as if he's been waiting for my arrival.

"I was wondering when you would show up," he says giving me a sinister smile. "Alone again."

"Shut up," I say pointing the gun straight at him. "This is where it ends."

"What?" He says playing fake hurt. "Are you gonna kill me? Remember how that turned out for you last time?"
__
F L A S H B A C K . . .
I see blood everywhere and feel a loud thud behind me.

"Y-you killed your own grandmother," I say barely breathing.

"And now it's your turn," he says aiming the gun at me. He throws the gun I had to the side and steps closer to me.

This was it. I was gonna die and there was no Giovanni that was going to bust in through the doors to come and save me this time around.

I was suppose to save and protect him.

I failed.

My eyes begin to get watery and no matter how hard I try, I can't shake off the feeling of fear running through my body.

"Did you really think you alone could kill me, Nadiyah?" He asks. His voice sounded so evil not the least bit like the man who once rescued me.

"If Giovanni, Lester, and Adriana, couldn't kill me together, how did you think you could?" He asks chuckling.

He points the gun on my forehead and let's out a sigh of relief.

"But I must thank you. Because of you, I am now able to get rid of you and take that as leverage over Giovanni."