Ch. 62

"Nothing," I say tiredly. "Well nothing that involves you at least."

"If it involves you, it involves me," he says not breaking eye contact. "So, what was it?"

"Something between the two of us."

"Oh," he says with a crooked grin. "So if I were to flaunt around with Katrina and keep secrets with her, how would you feel?"

"There's a difference between someone that I have no love interest with and someone you've got a child with."

"Oh, come on," he says rolling his eyes. "The comparison works, Nadiyah."

Luca's crying distracts both of us from our argument and we both stand up and head for the living room.

"What's wrong buddy?" Giovanni asks picking him up. "Why're you crying?"

His crying comes to a stop as he stares at me. It melts by heart that with just my presence, I was able to calm him down. Most of the time, and then at times, it was only Giovanni who could make him stop crying.

"He's probably hungry again," I say wiping the tear off of his cheek. "I'll go get something."

"What do you mean again? I just fed shortly after I came back," Giovanni says heading up the stairs. "He probably just needs a nap."

"Well maybe you didn't feed him enough," I mumble. "He just recently woke up from a nap, why would he need another one?"

"I'm sure I would know how much to feed my son, I've been with him long enough," he says not bothering to turn around. "His crankiness says nap."

"What's that suppose to mean?" I ask stopping midway.

"Whatever you want it to mean, Nadiyah. Why should I explain myself to you if you won't to me?"

"Well sorry I lost my memory," I say angrily. "Just because I haven't been with him as long as I have doesn't mean I don't know my own son.. at least I'm trying."

"Nad-" a sympathetic look comes over his face. "I'm sorry, okay? That was inappropriate and I shouldn't have said it to you of all people."

"I'm trying," I say slumping down the stairs. "I'm trying so hard to be a good mother and a good partner to you and forget everything about Leo and.. it's so overwhelming," I say shaking my head. "I get so stressed out and then the thought of never getting my memory back."

He sits quietly for a second before finally sighing.

"I know that everything is hard on you and I wish that I could make it easier. I don't know what to say to make you feel better but know that just as much as you're trying, I'm trying too," he says wrapping his hand around my shoulders.

I rest my head against his chest and slowly breathe in his scent.

"Thank you, Giovanni, for everything."
__
I wake up to the sound of something being zipped and slowly open my eyes.

"You're awake," he says walking over towards me. "I thought about what you said and I realize that all this stress isn't good for you or the baby," he says sitting on the edge of the bed.

"The last thing I want to do is cause you any harm so," he says slowly turning toward the suitcases. "You are going to go on a vacation, far far away from here. No worrying about any of the Leo bs or anything else. Just a nice girls week out while we handle everything here, how does that sound?"

My hands wrap around him before I can say anything.

"Thank you," I say holding on tighter. "You're amazing."