Ch. 55

I sit on the bed with my feet to my stomach and my hair covering my face. The more I looked at my stomach, the more of an urge I got to fix everything wrong before the baby came.

Was I right to be feeling things? And if so, did that mean that maybe Giovanni wasn't to blame for what happened after all?

The door bell startles me from my thoughts. I open the door and a curly haired man with beautiful grey eyes stares back at me.

"Nadiyah," he says shocked. A smile comes over his face as he embraces me. "I haven't seen you in months, how have you been?"

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" I ask pulling away.

"Joseph," he says confused. "Your old landlord before you moved in with your boyfriend or whatever he was."

"Leo?" I ask.

"That's who I'm looking for but I was talking about that other one, I was never good with names."

"Giovanni?" I ask hopeful.

"That one, that was his name. If you don't mind me asking what are you doing here?"

I don't even know myself, how was I suppose to answer that?

"Uh, Leo is my husband."

His eyes pop out and he gives me a sad look. He knew something.

"What happened to the other one?"

"Who?"

"Giovani?"

"I-" my voice trails off as I see Leo's car pulling up. Our eyes fall on each other as he gets out of the car.

"Hey," he says pecking me. He doesn't bother to show much affection, as usual, and turns to face Joseph.

"You brought the stuff?" He asks Joseph.

"Yeah, but shouldn't you introduce me to your lovely wife first and foremost?" Joseph replies back.

His eyes stay on me for a bit longer than they should and I shift around uncomfortably.

"Nadiyah, this is Joseph. Joe, Nadiyah," he says before stepping inside. "We'll be upstairs," he says setting his stuff down.

"Okay," is all I can say.

I walk around and find myself sitting outside. Within just two weeks, there was doubt in my heart. Doubt about Giovanni and what he really did, Leo and who he really was to me, and Luca about what he was to me.

I hear footsteps coming down the stairs and feel the door being opened .

"So, you don't remember anything, huh?" I hear Joseph. "That's a shame."

"Do you know anything, is that why you're asking?" I say turning around. "If you do, please tell me, I need to know."

"Take my number," he says handing me a card. "We can set up a time for the exchange," he says winking.

"Exchange?" I ask.

"You know, you do a favor for me, I do a favor for you," he says putting his hands in his pocket.

My expression must've been priceless because he bursts into a fit of laughter.

"I'm kidding, relax," he says in between laughs. "You should've been seen your expression."

"Oh," I say embarrassed.

"I have to go back upstairs but make sure to call me or stop by, my address is on the card," he flashes me a smile before heading back upstairs.