Years Later

Okay so this was gonna be the original ending of the book so that Luca's story would follow this but obviously it would've been too sad 😭😭 so this is a couple years after the last chapter. Everything else that happened in between the gap of this chapter & Luca's story will be explained later on in the Luc's as well as what exactly happened to Diyah.
__
I walk into the room and sit right next to the bed as I've done everyday for the past week.

"I love you," I whisper as I tuck a curl behind her ear. "Always have.. always will."

The door slowly opens.

"Papa," Rico says holding his teddy bear in one hand and blanket in his other.

"Hey big man," I say beckoning him to come over. He hops onto my lap and begins sucking his thump.

"Mommy's still sleeping?" He whispers.

"Yes," I whisper back.

"Mommy," he says lightly tapping on her hand. "Wake up."

"She's not waking up," comes a voice from the door.

"Luca," I say without turning around. "Not around Rico."

"What's the point in saying she's waking up and making him believe something that's never going to happen?" He asks. "She's de-"

"LUCIOUS!" I bark.

Rico jumps in my lap and I instantly regret it.

Without another word, Luc walks out of the room.

"I'm sorry, buddy," I say softly. "I didn't mean to raise my voice."

"Is Luc mad at mommy?" He asks innocently.

"No," I say looking at nothing in particular. "Luc isn't mad at mommy. It's almost your bed time, go brush your teeth, please," I say helping him off my lap.

"Okay. Bye mommy," he says waving at the bed. "I love you," he says kissing her cheek, walking out the door.

"I can't do this without you," I say looking at the lifeless body of the love of my life.

"I need you now more than ever," I say taking her hand into my hand. "Please.. Rico is still so little and he asks for you everyday. He misses his mom and Luca.. he hates himself thinking everything is his fault."

"You would've known exactly what to say or do at a time like this because I don't," I say feeling my hands shaking. "I.. I can't be a single parent without ruining these boys' lives. Please, please, please don't leave our sons the way my mother left me. Please don't leave them motherless. Nadiyah, come back to them.. come back to me," I say staring at my tear on her hand.

There's a knock on the door.

"Sir, may I come in? I have to fill your wife's tubes again" comes the voice of Amber, the nurse.

"Yes," I say standing up and kissing the lips of my brain dead wife.