Ch. 83

Throughout the dinner, I answer all of my moms questions about Luc. They seem never ending and only stops when she realizes that she had started a topic over labor.

"Oh he is just too cute," she says gushing. "Look at that smile!"

"Abraham," my father says standing up. "How about we get something to drink outside and let these three catch up."

Abraham gives me an assuring look before nodding towards the door.

After they leave, I let out a sigh.

"Why do I get an uneasy feeling?" I ask. "Like something isn't right between dad and Abraham."

"Your father said he knew him through Victor and that's all. He probably worked on the family business with him and that's how they know each other."

"How does dad know Victor again?" I ask. A part of me hoped that he knew nothing of what his so called friend and his family took part in.

"Old business friends," she says paying with Lucas hand. "They seem to have known each other years."

"Wow," I say taking a sip of my wine.

"I just hope your dad doesn't scare Abraham away," she says chuckling. "He probably scared away those other two you liked."

"Trust me, he's not that easy to scare away," I say smiling. "I've tried already."
__

The rest of the afternoon goes smoothly as my mother and Abraham begin to bond over smillar nothings.

Luc falls asleep in his grandfathers arms and I sigh.

"We should be heading back," I say reaching for him. "He's had a long day and no nap in between."

"Nonsense," my father says flicking my hand away. "Spend the night here. We haven't seen you in years and now you want to leave?"

"Well I mean Abraham-"

"It's fine," Abraham says looking up. "We can, if you want."

"Okay," I say smiling. "I guess we will be spending the night then."

"I'll can take Luc from you and put him in my old room, Dad," I say reaching for him once again.

"Actually I want to show you what I've done with you kids' old babyroom and you can put him in there," he says standing up.

I follow him to a room on the other end of the hall and once I admire the room, I turn the lights on and leave the door slightly open.

"Luc doesn't like the dark much. He actually gets sc-"

"Nadiyah," my father says cutting me off.

"Hmm?"

"Do you love this man? When Victor spoke of him, he didn't speak of him the same way he spoke of Giovanni."

Giovanni.

"You wouldn't speak of Khloe the exact same way you would speak of me, would you?" I ask.

I look down at my feet and my father kisses my forehead.

"I don't want you getting hurt, that's all."