I Still Love You - Valentine's Day Special

Hi! It's me. The Bubblegummy Bitch who writes this stupid shit. I want to write a story about MithRoss. It's how I started this book and damn it it's how I want to finish it. (This isn't the last chapter but eventually this shit's gotta have an end.)
So I'm writing a story about how they still love each other after years of being together. And how old age doesn't change the way they feel about each other. So enjoy my fluff!

===========================

Max stared at Ross. Years had changed the both of them. Yet Max still saw him as the awkward twelve year old with a squeaky, nervous voice from Runescape. Ross meant everything to him. Even now. At the end of their time together.

Max always knew it would come to this. One of them would die and leave the other behind. On one hand, he didn't want to be the one to leave Ross all alone. On the other hand, dying would be so much better than watching this happen.

"Will you hold me again?" Ross' hoarse voice asked. His voice was small. Like a child's. The vulnerability of it all broke Max's heart.

"Of course I will." Max said quietly. He reached out and took Ross' hand in his own. Squeezing gently. The heart monitor responded in kind. Getting just a little faster. Max smiled. After all these years Ross' heart still sped up when he touched him.

Max watched a tear slide between the wrinkles around Ross' eyes. Again Max felt his chest clench in helpless pain while he watched Ross cry.

"I'm sorry." Ross sobbed, gasping for breath. "I'm sorry that you're here. You shouldn't have to be here. I wish... I wish I'd just die already. And stop making you come here to take care of me."

"Why would you say that?!" Max exclaimed.

"I'm no good for you anymore." Ross said darkly. "I'm just sitting in a bed. Making medical bills pile up. We haven't had sex in years. I am... Broken."

Max was silent for a moment. Several long minutes passed before he finally spoke again.

"Do you remember our wedding?" Max asked him.

Ross nodded. "I could never forget."

"Remember what I said?"

"No." Ross said sadly. "All I can remember is thinking about how much I wanted to kiss you."

Max smiled. "I said that I'd be there for you forever. For better or for worse. For richer or poorer. Until we die. And beyond that, even. I will never forget my promise or break my vow. I still love you Ross. That's why I'm here."

By the time he had finished his sentence, Max realized that Ross had already fallen asleep. He looked up at the heart monitor and saw that his heart rate was getting slower and slower and slower. Slower than normal.

Tears began to roll down his own face. But he didn't cry out. Instead he smiled and leaned over the side of his lover's bed. He kissed Ross' forehead and breathed in the last of his scent.

"I love you." Max breathed out. Mumbling into Ross' white curls. Remembering back on the time where they were a dark blond. "I love you so much."

He managed to say it five more times before Ross' heart finally stopped. Nurses and doctors rushed in with the defibrillator, ready to try to save him. But Max knew they would not succeed. Something in his heart just knew. Ross was dead. He always thought that he would be screaming and crying. But he was not. In an odd way, he was relieved. Ross had been sitting in his hospital bed suffering for months. Max had watched him get weaker day by day and his face fall as he started to realize he would not make it. Max knew that soon the relief would wear off and he would be left with the staggering reality that the love of his life is dead. But for now, he was just glad Ross wasn't in pain anymore.

Max let himself be escorted out of Ross' room and sat down in the waiting room. While he was forced into his chair, he thought back on all the times he and his husband were together. Playing Runescape or Minecraft. Cooking that stupid fucking cake with the Mountain Dew in the middle. Dancing at their wedding. (Trying) to fish at the lake. Eating dinner together. Max cherished every memory. Now more than ever. He knew he would hold them for the rest of his life. Waiting for the day he would see Ross again.

The next week Max stood at his graveside. Watching the coffin being lowered into the dirt with damning finality. That was it. He was dead. End of story. Of course, Max had known this all along. But seeing him lying in the coffin at the funeral really showed him the truth. The pale, sickly green skin. The fact that he didn't smell like himself anymore. The sickening coldness that plagued his skin. Ross was dead.

Now Max was crying. Bawling like a baby as he tossed a rose in the grave. Pouring a can of soda over his coffin. Watching them fill the grave with dirt. It felt as though he couldn't breathe. He watched the shiny surface of the coffin disappear beneath the dirt. Soon he was standing above a freshly covered grave alone. Everyone else had left him. Max looked up at his husband's gravestone and sighed.

"I still love you." He said to himself. "I will always love you."

Til death do us part. He heard Ross say in his mind.

===========================

WHY THE FUCK DID THIS TURN OUT SO SAD.
I'M SORRY. I DIDN'T MEAN FOR IT TO BE LIKE THIS. WHAT HAPPENED.

I Promise I'll make it up to y'all. This just... Happened. I will do better next time!

-💕 Bubblegum 💕