14

Year Four

Y/n took her seat next to Sirius and Remus in Transfiguration class. As usual though, class was boring but Y/n still somehow managed to be the top of the class. And as usual, James was sitting next to Lily Evans.  After class was dismissed, the Marauders began to talk about their Animagus forms. "We need some silly little nicknames for each other, don't you think?" Y/n suggested. "Agreed. But they have to somehow match our animal selves." Remus muttered. The Marauders went into a short moment of silence, as all five of them were thinking of names.

"I got one for Remus!" James exclaimed. "Well?  What is it?" Y/n said rather impatiently. "Moony. Because, well, Remus transforms into a wolf when the moon is out." James said at barely a whisper. The Marauders then proceeded to look at Remus, who smiled and said "It's great." "What about the other four of us? What will our nicknames be?" Sirius asked. Y/n thought for a moment, and then replied. "No idea." she said with a smile.

Today, Y/n had her first game of Quidditch for the year. She was rather excited since she was the first to be picked on the team for the year, but also because she had a good feeling about today's match. James and Sirius were also still on the team, Y/n was hoping James wouldn't get distracted by Evans and make Gryffindor lose the game. After changing into her Quidditch uniform, Y/n made her way out to the field, Gryffindor team by her side. The game was against Ravenclaw, which Y/n was fine with. She didn't have any Ravenclaw enemies, so nobody would be getting out of their way to knock Y/n off of her broom or something.

As Y/n got herself on her broomstick, she could already see Evans in the crowd. And of course, James was staring at her and flashing nasty little smiles. Once the commentator announced that the game had begun, Y/n flew into the air as usual. Being Seeker, her job wasn't too hard. Just hover above the ground until she would see the Snitch. Sirius too only had to pay attention while aiming Bludgers to the opposing team members. James, on the other hand, had a more difficult job. Since he was Chaser, he had to be constantly after the big red Quaffle. But for James in particular, that job was rather hard for him. Because he couldn't tear his eyes off of that Evans.

As Y/n searched the sky for the little golden Snitch, she took an occasional glance at James, who was trying to impress Evans by doing tricks on his broomsticks. Obviously, Evans was unimpressed and Y/n just had to hold in her laughter because of the scene. But right at that moment, Y/n took notice of the Snitch flying around. She zoomed towards it, neck to neck with the Ravenclaw Seeker. Right as Y/n stretched out her arm to catch the little golden ball, she heard a loud noise coming from the crowd. It certainly wasn't a cheer, it was more of a reaction to somebody getting injured or something. Though, Y/n kept her attention to the Snitch. She had to. Until, a whistle got blown and the commentator announced that the game was cancelled.

Y/n flew towards the ground, her e/c eyes scanning the Quidditch field for any bad mishaps. Eventually, she saw something she wished she hadn't seen. In fact, right when she saw it she felt the tears begin to sting her eyes and her grasp on her broomstick getting weaker.

James was laying down on the field, a Bludger next to his face and blood all over him. Sirius, Remus and Peter were all waiting for Madame Pomfrey, who was a couple of feet away and rushing to James. But, what Y/n had noticed most was Lily Evans kneeling down next to James, sobbing and shaking his shoulders. Y/n sprinted her way to James as the boys put him onto a stretcher.  "What happened?!"  Y/n shouted through sobs. "Well, a Bludger hit him square in the face. Then he fell off his broom obviously, and he was pretty high up in the sky." Remus muttered. Before even answering, Y/n began to run after the small group transporting James to the hospital wing. Remus, Sirius and Peter followed her.

- time skip -

One day after the incident, Y/n sat down next to James in the hospital wing, by herself. James was asleep. Y/n glanced at the bruises and scars all over his face, and felt bad. Why was she feeling bad? James is the one that moved on from Y/n in the blink of an eye. Y/n then heard the door open. Lily Evans. Evans walked in, took the remaining seat next to James, and.. held his hand? The first thing that came to Y/n's mind was to just storm off, and so she did. She did spend a fair amount of time with James after all.

Y/n miserably sat down at the Gryffindor table with the rest of the Marauders. "Guys?" Y/n whispered hoarsely. "Yeah?" all the boys said in sync. "I think Evans likes James." Y/n muttered, hating the sentence that she just said. Nobody said anything, but there were many sympathetic looks for Y/n from the boys. "You know what-just goodnight. I'm tired." Y/n mumbled and walked off before anybody else could say anything. Seems like Quidditch was just a very unlucky game for her. Though, Y/n wasn't lying when she said she was tired. She laid down on her dormitory bed and let her thoughts take over her mind until she was asleep.

- time skip -

Today was the second day of James being under hospital care. Although Y/n was very stubborn, she still did have feelings for James so she would stay by his side while he was asleep. This time, though, Y/n wasn't alone. Lily Evans was sitting across from Y/n, grasping James' hand. Y/n just tried to ignore it. Eventually though, James began to slightly open his eyes. Y/n moved closer to him just to make sure if he was actually waking up or not, and he was. James slowly opened his eyes and looked at the two people in front of him.

"W-what happened?" was all he said. Y/n rolled her eyes. "Bludger to the face" Y/n replied dryly. "Oh James, you're alright.." Evans said happily. This confused and saddened  Y/n very much. James looked at Evans and immediately started to blush. "Well James, the boys and I will be waiting for you in the Gryffindor common room." Y/n muttered, not wanting to know what James would say to Evans next.

Either way, it was all just for the better.

-

all characters/storylines belong to j.k rowling except for the ones i made up <3