Birthday Banquet (1)

On the day of the Head of Wei's birthday celebration, the Wei residence was filled with noble and royal families who had come to wish Hideo a happy 90th birthday. The banquet was in full swing with performers, who were dancing and musicians, who were playing happy and exciting tunes on their instruments.

Hideo sat at the top of the raised platform with a smile on his face and next to him sat Ju Long with his cheshire smile beaming. They raised their cup of wine every time a nobleman would step up to the stage and give out their congratulatory well wishes to Hideo.

To their right side was Ken, Xiu and Naoko and to their left was the Elders of Wei. They too raised their wine cups to toast Hideo every time a noble man would come up to wish him a happy birthday and a long life.

Ju Long could feel a hard stare at him coming from his Father, Second Wife and his half brother, Naoko. Ju Long's cheshire smile widen as he turns to the people he shared the same blood as him, and as soon as they saw him look their way, they looked away as if they were not staring hatefully and jealously at him.

If Hideo paid the same attention towards Naoko, Naoko would have the same advantage as Ju Long. Ken thought as his smiled tightened. He couldn't frown in front of so many people, so his strain smile made him look stern in front of others. All Naoko needed was for his father, Hideo, to introduce him to his friends and Naoko would have the support he needed when he became a Minister. However his hateful father wouldn't even do that for him. But he was fine with letting the whole world know that Ju Long is his grandson! What hypocrisy!

During the whole banquet, only the noblemen and royalty came up to Hideo's table and talked with Hideo and Ju Long. They constantly gave compliments to Ju Long which made Hideo boast about his grandson even more! Hideo did not humbly accept the compliments, he accepted them and with his shameless nature, took all the credit for raising such an outstanding grandson.

Everyone laughed as they talked, but Ken could only stand Ju Long having the spotlight for so long that he suddenly stood up and the moment he did, the musicians were told to stop playing.

"Gentlemen, Noblemen, Royal Families!" Ken said as he raised his cup to give out his toast. "Please, give me your undivided attention as I would like to give a speech."

Everyone quieted down as the performers stopped dancing and went to go stand on the sidelines.

"For several centuries now, my Father has guided and lead the way, for our Wei Clan to become a prosperous and strong clan." Ken said as he smiled genuinely for the first time. He had everyone's attention now and he couldn't wait to make Ju Long and Hideo lose face. "It is his strength that protects this clan. His intelligence that guides this clan. His courage that leads this clan. And his resolve to do the right thing when needed. There can be no better Wei Clan leader than my Father, Hideo Wei."

There were many men in the crowd who agreed with Ken's words as they shouted, "Hear! Hear!"

"It brings me great honor to call this man my Father!" Ken said as he pulls up Naoko so he could stand. "It also brings my son, great honor for him to call him, Grandfather!"

Naoko's pretty features caught the attention of all the ladies and some of the men. His beautiful features were pristine without a speck of dirt or blemish. Naoko smiled towards everyone as he green eyes stares at the crowd. He holds his head up higher as his chest puffs up in pride. It was as if he was telling everyone to look and stare at him. And from their eyes, Naoko could tell, which ones of them wanted to possess him, to own him, to make him theirs. But what they didn't know, was that it would be them who he possess, who he will own, who he will make them his.

"My son, Naoko will be joining the summer government exams this summer. He'll follow in my footsteps and become a Minister and serve his Royal Highness." Ken said as he smiled even wider. He could see every important Minister, General, Duke and Prince whisper to each other as they pointed to Naoko. "Naoko will bring more honor to our Wei Clan, just like his Grandfather, my Father, Hideo Wei!"

Hideo's smile vanished as he listened to his tactless son introduce his grandson like some common whore at a whore house.  And it was in front of the whole nobility and royalty! He looks over at Ju Long and Ju Long's face held the same cheshire smile as he drank his tea as if he was not bothered at all by it.

"In filial piety, Naoko left a week ago to go pray for my Father's health, may he live for another 100 years!" Ken said as he raised his wine cup.

The speech that started off strong, ended weak as everyone could tell that Ken was using this platform to introduce his son and was not sincerely wishing his father a happy birthday.

"Cheers!" Ken shouted awkwardly before everyone shouted it back and drank their wine in one gulp. "Everyone has given their gift already to my Father. I wanted to wait until everyone was finished before giving my present to my Father."

Ken waved his hand and three servants came forward carrying a sandalwood box. They knelt in front of the stage and opened it all at once, causing the Elders to gasp in shock.

The first box was a black pearl the size of a grapefruit. It sat in a white silk pillow and shined with luster as the box was held up in offering to Hideo. The black pearl alone could buy a whole country and it was being given to Hideo as if it was a play thing he could play with. There must be only one in the whole country and it belonged to the Wei Clan.

The second sandalwood box was filled with a 50 year old ginseng. It's large white root, was pure in color and gave off a sweet yet medicinal smell. Everyone could tell that the ginseng was harvested with care, for it had all its little roots that were still intact.

The third sandalwood box was a golden turtle the same size of the black pearl. The detailed turtle was made by a great craftsman as every detail of the turtle could be seen and admired.

"A black pearl, symbolizing wisdom. It attracts wealth, luck and offers protection." Naoko said in his gentle manner of speaking. His strong and silky, gentleman voice caught the attention of everyone as he kept talking. "A 50 year old ginseng to help Grandfather stay forever healthy. A golden turtle, symbolizing longevity, persistence and endurance. With these gifts, we wish Grandfather, a long, healthy, and wealthy life!"

Everyone stood up and clapped in awe.

"What a filial son and grandson!" Someone shouted from the crowd. The great gifts made some jealous while others were truly happy for Hideo for the thoughtful gifts.

Hideo's smile was strain, but he didn't show how indifferent he was about the gifts. They were just useless objects to him. He didn't care for them, but he couldn't let his son and grandson lose face in front of everyone, so he nodded his head in thanks and dismissed the three servants holding the gifts.

"Place the gifts in my chambers." Hideo ordered them.

Ken smile widen as he thought that his father accepted his gifts wholeheartedly. Maybe now he'll give a good word to his friends about Naoko. As Ken and Naoko both sat down, Ju Long stood up.

"This Grandson also has a present to give to Grandfather."