Chapter 22

*Your POV*
The next day, I look out the window and see everyone coming in. I look down, and see Jughead and Betty walking. Jug looks up at the window, and sees me. He waves and smiles. I give him a slight smile and wave back, and then turn away from the window. I just borrowed some clothes from Cheryl. A pair of black jeans, and a black top.

I go over to Cheryl. She's looking in the mirror with her black dress on. "You ready?" I ask.

"Just about." She says.

Her mom passes by us, when she's out of sight, I whisper in her ear. "Remember the plan."

She slightly nods. "Go on ahead. I'll be down."

I nod, and go downstairs. I walk down the isle, passing Penelope, and see Betty, Jug, Kevin, Archie, and Veronica. I go over to them and sit down in a row in front of them.

Everyone starts turning around and murmuring, so I turn around too, and Cheryl is indeed, walking down the isle with the white dress that she says she wore on July 4th. A smirk appears on my lips. Plan success. For now.

She makes eye contact with me for a second, and then keeps walking up towards the front. "Welcome to Thornhill. Thank you all for coming. If you'll kindly take your seats." She puts a hand up, and people who stood up, are now sitting down. "I'd like to start the memorial. With a few words, about Jason." I see Penelope about to get up out of her seat, but Clifford stops her. She looks over to me.

"You're only going to make things worse." I mouth, and then look back at Cheryl, and she does the same.

"The last time I saw Jason, I was wearing this dress." She pauses, "I know it's impossible, but I swear, when I put it on, it," she looks over at the picture of Jason, "it feels like he's in the room with me." she looks back at the audience. "Even though we were twins, I used to demand I have my own birthday party. Until one year, out of the blue, Jason convinced me we had to combine them into one. It wasn't until years later, I found out why."

She makes eye contact with me for a second, and I slowly nod my head. "It was because no one wanted to come to mine. And Jason didn't want me to know. He protected me." she sniffs, and her eyes start to water. "Every, single day. I wish, that day at the river, I had protect him." her voice breaks, and she sobs. She turns around, and puts her hand on the coffin, "I'm so sorry, Jay-Jay." I look around, and stand up, and go over to her. "We failed you. All of us."

She puts her head down on the coffin, and starts sobbing. I go up to her and touch her back, and she pulls me into a hug.

Penelope comes up to the stand, "I think we'll adjourn now to the Winter Salon, for a light supper." Cheryl sits down in a chair in the front row, and everyone gets up. I walk off the stand, and Jug comes over to me.

"Ready to go?" he asks. I look at him, and behind him, and see Betty.

I take a deep breathe and look up, "No, you guys go. This seems like something that you guys would be better at doing, anyways. Plus," I turn and look at her, and then back at him "I should stay with Cheryl." What are you doing? Go with them.

He looks at me, "Are you sure?"

I'm really not. "Yes." Lie.

He sighs, "Okay. I'll come back." He kisses my forehead and goes with Betty. Damnit, (Y/N), why didn't you go with them? I turn around and sit with Cheryl.

I pat her back. "How are you feeling?" I ask.

She looks down, "Fine." She pauses, "But I'm glad I got it out. And I'm glad I wore this." She looks at me, "Thank you, (Y/N)."

"Hey, I'm just trying to make new friends here." I say. The old me, probably wouldn't have done this."

Penelope rushes over to us and grabs Cheryl by the arm. I get up, and start to follow them, but I feel someone grab my wrist. I turn and it's Archie.

"(Y/N), don't." he says.

I look at him for a second, and then back at her, and Cheryl is looking at me, while being dragged away by her mother. "N-No, Archie, I'm sorry I have to." I get out of his reach and run after Cheryl.

Penelope practically drags her up the flights of stairs, and I follow them. She takes Cheryl into her room and slams the door.

"I had to. It's what Jason would've wanted." I hear Cheryl cry. I lean my head up against the door.

"No, Cheryl. As always, it's what you wanted." Penelope says. There's a slight pause. "I hope you enjoyed yourself. 'Cause after tonight, there will be no more River Vixens."

I slowly open the door. "And if not for the fact that NO ONE," Penelope grabs her face, "would have you. I'd be shipping you off to a boarding school in Europe tonight." I gasp to myself. She leaves, and in the crack, I see Cheryl sitting on her bed, looking down, and sobbing.

I slowly walk in, "Cheryl..?"

She quickly looks up at me, "(Y/N)..it's okay." She sniffs and wipes her tears, "I'm fine. You should go."

I sigh, "Okay. Text me when you can, okay?"

She nods. "I will."

-------------------------
Word Count: 955