VII

Trust your bodyIt reacts to right and wrongBetter than your mind does- Rupi KaurIt is speaking for you

Trust your body
It reacts to right and wrong
Better than your mind does
- Rupi Kaur
It is speaking for you

It's been a month since I've been working at the sunset pub. Honestly speaking, my pay is really good. I have a feeling that it's not what everyone else receives but I can't complain.
Nicholas hasn't backed down either. He's always hitting on me and if I'm to be sincere— we might have made out in his office once. It was a moment of weakness but I've never let it happen again. I avoid being alone with him and even when he calls for me I don't go.
It's risky ignoring him but it's riskier having anything to do with him. Bartending is giving me more money than I ever imagined so the last thing I want is for a short-lived fling to get in the way.

I know his type— they fuck you and leave you. Unfortunately, it will never happen because I refuse to do the walk of shame at work.
No dick is worth my mother's health.
"I'm serious, Princess, he's really mad this time," Lucas informed me as he poured a drink for an impatient customer.
"There you go handsome."
I slid a drink over to an old man, shamelessly flirting. The more you flirt, the bigger the tip. I couldn't have been any happier when I heard that whatever tip you get, you keep. That wasn't a privilege I enjoyed at other crappy jobs I've had in the past.
The well-dressed man gave me a bright smile, totally melting my heart. He was very attractive, even in his old age.
"How mad?"
I questioned, facing Lucas who was mixing a drink. He sighed frustratedly.
"Look! The kind of mad that says you can lose your job if you don't move your ass over there instantly."
There was no escaping this one because I need this job more than my life. Due to it, mum's bills are being paid for and debts have been covered— The tips are ridiculously high.

Heck, I got a $300 tip just an hour ago and believe me when I say that isn't the highest I've received. Everyone that comes here is rotten rich and free handed— to me at least.
I dramatically sighed which caused Lucas to chortle.
"Can you handle it?" I signalled towards the waiting customers and he rolled his eyes.
"I did for a month before you came. Stop looking for excuses," I scoffed. May God help me then.
The walk towards his office felt like a walk into temptation. I've never been emotionally attached to anyone except Zayn so I wasn't scared of that happening but I was indeed scared of a moment of weakness and how badly it could turn out.
I admit I want love, but my heart always tells me otherwise when a man glances my way. I was convinced that I was unable to feel until I met Zayn. Everything made sense before him, everything I experienced and saw with my eyes had always been my reason and explanation.

With a fidgety hand, I knocked, waiting patiently as I already didn't want to go in.
"Come in!" His voice beamed through. My intestines twisted like angry rats were trying to scratch their way out.
Slowly, I pressed down the doorknob, coming face to face with a stern looking Nicholas. His face was void of any expression. He stared at me blankly, his elbow resting on his table— his fingers interlocked.
I closed the door behind me, biting my upper lip nervously. His eyes remained on me as I walked, trying to act normal like I wasn't avoiding my boss.
"Yeah?"
I had no idea how to break the silence because he wasn't talking either.
"Sit!" He commanded which caused me to gulp nervously, seeing a side of him I don't like to see. He was wearing a casual outfit, as usual, a black polo t-shirt with the logo being red, it's always a different colour. I couldn't see his lower body but I knew it was black jeans, black must be his favourite colour.
"You've been avoiding me."
He said like it was a cue for my explanation.
"No, I haven't," I lied.
"That's bullshit and you know it."
He rose to his feet, rendering my reply a stupid one. The air in the room immediately felt stale as he walked towards me. Describing him as handsome is an understatement so my discomfort was understandable.
He walked behind me, building my anticipation. I chewed on my lip as I fought the urge to turn around.
I yelped when my chair was pulled back swiftly. It caught me off guard. Within seconds he was before me, leaning against the table.