VIII

Breathe my air,Hear my thoughts

Breathe my air,
Hear my thoughts.
Get so close,
All boundaries are crossed.
- HighPoetSociety

Zayn Malik - It's you

There was a blank expression on his face. I was scared that my heartbeat could be heard from across the room. I tried my best to also mirror a blank expression.
"Oh sorry, this is Muna, a really good friend of mine."
Nicholas introduced— totally oblivious to the tension that was in the air.
"Hi, nice to meet you."
I stretched out my hand, pretending like I had no idea who he was. Everything that happened between us was in the past— The moment I walked away, I ceased to know anyone called Zayn.
His eyes fell on my outstretched hand and back to my pleading gaze— hesitantly he accepted my handshake. His hair that I loved so much was gone, completely shaved off with only small stubbles sticking out. Only him could pull off such a look. He still resembled the Greek god I remembered him as.
He held my gaze for no longer than a second before it shifted to the gorgeous woman that was standing by his side.
I was never one to compare my beauty to other women but God was she ten times more beautiful compared to me. She looked like she walked straight out of a high fashion magazine. My mouth became sour at the thought of her being my replacement.
With her in the picture— I was sure no memory of me existed in his mind.
I wonder if he had already introduced her to his playroom. It's been a month already so that was inevitable— fucking her.
I died a little inside.

He gestured her closer and wrapped his hand around her small waist, pulling her closer. I wore my poker face the entire time, trying to show my strength.
"This is Lilja, my woman."
He introduced her— eyeing me as the last word left his lips. She smiled brightly, turning to him and planted a quick kiss on his lip.
My heart stopped.
I couldn't do it, I wanted to bury myself. Nicholas shook her hand with a smile, telling her whatever it was he did as I just stood there— looking everywhere but at Zayn.
"Nice to meet you, you look lovely."
I told her with a smile. No matter what, she looked lovely and I wasn't going to hate her just because she was his newest toy.
"Thank you, I love your dress."
She returned the compliment. I could feel his eyes on me but I didn't give him the luxury of meeting my gaze.
"I can't believe you came back over a month ago and never bothered to tell me," Zayn accused Nicholas, I could tell they were really good friends.
It was heartbreaking— playing strangers with Zayn. I missed him so much that being this close to him after what felt like an eternity left me feeling nothing. I just sat there, we had moved to a small gathered seat.
Of all the people Nicholas had run into, Zayn was the one he couldn't let go of after a short while and I wish he could have.
Not once had Zayn glanced at me, he was doing a very good job ignoring me. Lilja's hand was in his and resting on his lap— something he never really did with me.

I hated myself for agreeing to come here in the first place. This would have never happened if I had stayed home.
"Are you okay baby girl?"
Nicholas leaned in and whispered into my ears over the soft music in the background.
I forced a smile, something I've mastered to perfection. "My feet hurt," I whined, leaving out the actual reason I was in a sour mood. Nicholas burst out laughing and I honestly couldn't tell what was soo funny but his laugh was contagious so I joined in.
At that moment— it was just us. I had forgotten Zayn was seated right opposite us and was probably looking at me. That's why I like Nicholas, he makes me happy even if it wasn't the kind of happiness a man gives a woman.
Happiness is Happiness.
"You are very precious."
He said after calming down from our outbreak of laughter.
His words left me speechless for a second. It was soo sweet— no man had ever said such a thing to me. It wasn't the same old 'you're beautiful', 'you're sexy' from men that only just wanted to get into my pants. It made me feel special.
I smiled widely at him, our eyes locked for a second and just as I was about to reply Lilja interrupted.
"You two are soo cute, how long have you known each other?"
She gushed, thinking something was going on between Nicholas and me.
I could feel a heated gaze on me and I knew where it was coming from. The tension began to creep back in and I shifted my gaze towards him. Our eyes made contact and my heart stopped.
He was glaring at me— not hiding his anger. His jaw was clenched and his eyes murderous.

I didn't know how to feel or what to feel. For someone who doesn't give a shit about me, he was incredibly angry for some reason and I knew I was that reason.
"For a month and days."
Nicholas replied accurately, causing me to smile after diverting my gaze from Zayn's.
"Yeah, I work for him."
I added, giving more information on how we know each other. Nicholas frowned.
"She's more of a friend than an employee."
He stated which caused me to smile. He still had a grim expression, probably angry that I said I work for him. Question is why would he be angry if it's true? I didn't see anything wrong with it but I guess I should have just shut up.
"The both of you would make a lovely couple," Lilja smiled angelically.
God, she's every man's type.
"That's enough Lilja," Zayn warned, causing my attention to fall on him, he was already staring back— never blinking. Nicholas was oblivious but I knew exactly what he meant. His gaze still held mine even as he took a sip of his wine.
"It's fine," Nicholas said to Zayn. "We could but she doesn't want to give us a chance," He added with a teasing smile on his face— eyeing me.
"You know we'd kill each other if we ever got involved."
I joked to get rid of the tension Lilja might have caused.

They chuckled excluding Zayn. "You'd probably kill me first, your temper is that of a fox," He raised his hands up in surrender, causing Lilja to burst out laughing.
I was glad she was having a good time. The event wasn't as boring as I thought it'd have been except for the fact that Zayn was merely a foot away from me and blatantly staring at me.
"Care to dance?" He finally spoke up. My heart tightened at the thought of his hands wrapped around her.
There was silence until I looked up and saw him looking at me expectantly.
     What the fuck?
There was no way that could've been happening. He never ever asked me to dance even when we were together. He was always either chatting with his friends or business partners— hell even acquaintances. I was never that important.
I turned to look at Nicholas for permission, I owed it to him because he was my date. He didn't look so pleased as he watched us but he nodded subtly. I should have declined— make up an excuse, my feet were indeed hurting after all.
I nodded, placing my small hand in his fairly bigger ones. A familiar feeling jolted through me, one I missed so much.
I allowed him to pull me away, towards the dance floor.
His hand rested on my waist, just like the last night we spent together. My dress barely covered my back so part of his fingers touched my skin.

Someone please save me.

He pulled me closer and I hesitantly wrapped my hand around his neck. We weren't bound by his rules anymore but I knew he might not want me touching him.
I didn't care.
We began to dance in silence, our eyes locked on each other. There was soo much tension due to the fact that I was still very mad at him. It's been a month and days already but I still haven't forgotten the way he treated me like garbage.
"Why are you with him?" He whispered.

Please vote • comment • share

•Princess T•