VI

RepresentationIs vitalOtherwise the butterflySurrounded by a group of mothUnable to see itselfWill keep trying to become a moth- Rupi KaurRepresentation

Representation
Is vital
Otherwise the butterfly
Surrounded by a group of moth
Unable to see itself
Will keep trying to become a moth
- Rupi Kaur
Representation

     "W..what?" I stuttered, not because he was invading my space but because of what he said.
     My brows creased in confusion. I should have jumped for joy because I got the job but I was still trying to piece together what was happening.
     He smirked, stepping back a little.
     "Hi, I'm Nicholas Thompson."
He stretched out his hand for a shake but I remained frozen.
     Nick is Nicholas Thompson? I stared at him wide eyed— still in shock. Coming to think of it, how didn't I think of that earlier? He never told me he was the bouncer, I just assumed and for crying out loud his name is Nick— short form for Nicholas.
     "Close your mouth would you?"
He withdrew his hand and chuckled, brushing past me towards his chair.
     "When were you planning to tell me you're Nicholas Thompson?"
     My interrogative quality pushed through.
     "Now," He answered curtly, his eyes locked on his computer screen.
     His mood swing got me scrunching up my nose. He was literally grinning like a college boy seconds ago and the next minute he's the Nicholas Thompson everyone knows, the son of the devil.
     Those were Cheryl's words not mine.

Raising up his head, he intertwined his fingers and stared at me.
     "So what's it going to be?"
He questioned, causing me to frown. I quickly recovered from my state of confusion as to what he meant and immediately wore my thinking cap.
     "Anything honestly," I shrugged. One, I had no idea what jobs are available in pubs except for the waiter, bartender, janitor and the chefs honestly.
     He furrowed his brows, silently dwelling on something I might have said and that made me self conscious.
     "I could wait tables?"
I asked, totally unsure of myself.
     "Muna, I'm willing to give you any job of your choice and you want to wait tables?"  
     There was an amused expression on his face that belittled me for some weird reason.
     I'm not booksmart like some people out there, I never had that privilege. Of course there would be more prominent jobs one could carry out in a pub but I'm not fit for them.

This isn't to bring myself down— I'm a smartass in the streets but not with books. I'd love to learn further than I did but certain things have prevented me so far but I still intend to make it happen.
     I shrugged, taking a seat before him.
     "I could serve in the kitchen?"
I poured out stupidity from my lips. It was one of those moments when you know you should have just shut the fuck up.
     He chuckled and shook his head. "I had no idea you lacked ambition Muna."
     My eyes widened at his words that were indiscreetly directed towards me. I felt my heart pump in my chest, bringing all the blood in my body to my head.
You need this job Muna. Calm down!
     I took a deep breath, making sure to show how offended I was by his choice of words.
     "What would you rather I do?"
I asked, fighting my inner demons in order not to pounce over the table and unleash my beast.
     The bastard chuckled yet again which caused my jaw to clench and my fist to ball.