XII

Your voice does to meWhat autumn does to treesYou call to say helloAnd my clothes fall naturally- Rupi Kaur

What autumn does to trees
You call to say hello
And my clothes fall naturally
- Rupi Kaur

It's been a week since that night Nicholas left to see Zayn. Since then I haven't heard a word from him and he's been avoiding me. People were only allowed into his office if they were called and he never called to see me.
     I tried sneaking up on him several times but Kristen always got in the way of my perfectly planned but poorly executed missions.
The stupid bitch.
     I finally told Cheryl everything that had happened that night. She couldn't shut up about Zayn wanting me back because of his undying love for me and how my life was finally getting interesting again— She can be very annoying at times.
Blah Blah Blah.
     However it all didn't really matter, I was worried about Nicholas not wanting to see me. He's the only one that has ever made me feel special— not even as a partner but just a friend and I missed having that. I missed him.
     "Are you okay?"
Lucas asked, eyeing me with concern. I nodded weakly, returning to what I was doing.
     "Do you know if Mr Thompson is okay?"
I asked— wanting to know because he had arrived not long ago.
     "Is someone developing a crush on her boss?"
He joked as usual but I wasn't in the mood.
     "It's just a simple question Lucas, answer it simply as well."
I pressed which caused him to chuckle.

Lucas and Cheryl are the most annoying people I've ever met. They know how to really get on my nerves especially when I'm grumpy. It seems like that's when they try to push my buttons more.
     "You know what? It's fine."
I said angrily and turned away which caused him to frown.
     "Hey are you sure you're okay? You're never this grumpy."
He stated— turning me around to face him with his hands resting on my shoulders. I sighed, looking away from him which caused him to reach for my chin, bringing my head up so I'd look at him.
     "Hey.. He's fine, a little moody but fine."
He told me what I wanted to know but that didn't make me feel any better.
     His hand caressed my cheek, staring down at me. There was this look in his eyes that was different from anything I've ever detected from his end. All form of the playful Lucas I knew was gone— he became serious and our closeness enabled me to see a few freckles around his nose and also notice that his nose was a little bit crooked.
     "You're soo beautiful."
He whispered, stepping closer to me.
     The atmosphere had shifted. He went from telling me about Nicholas to evading my personal space before I could even process everything.
     I chuckled trying to lighten the mood but he didn't laugh. He took his bottom lip into his mouth, leaning forward when someone cleared their throat.
     I cringed at the thought of a customer being there long enough to witness what had happened.
     I took a step back and turned around only to have my eyes widen in shock.
Thompson and Malik.
     They were both glaring at Lucas with murderous eyes. Their jaws clenched and fists balled. I gulped hard turning around to see Lucas not looking the least bit worried whiles I was shaking in my boots for him.
     "My office now!"
Nicholas growled— stomping away for Lucas to follow, not once looking my way. I begun to panic because I remembered the conversation we had in his office about Lucas and how he said he would fire him in an instant if anything was going on between us— our previous position wasn't going to help.
     Lucas sighed frustratedly and I wish I could tell him to tone down the attitude but he had already begun to walk after Nicholas.
     Zayn remained rooted and my eyes landed on his. I could tell he was enraged.