XXIII

I heard a loud banging sound from downstairs and that instantly made me jolt from my sleep

I heard a loud banging sound from downstairs and that instantly made me jolt from my sleep. I checked the time and it was about five minutes past noon. I slept like a baby. It sucks not being able to do anything. I came to the conclusion that since Zayn doesn't need me for anything— I could go home like I used to unless he called me. I made up my mind to talk to him about it, besides I don't see why he'd object— that's our routine.
However, yesterday was totally unexpected. Zayn was very different and I know I've been saying this a lot lately but yesterday was different. As much as I loved it— it was scaring me. I don't know if I should embrace it and go with the flow or distance myself. Everything was too confusing and with the guilt I have for my kissing fest with Nicholas, I'm feeling extra shitty today.
I took a quick shower, wore an orange sundress and went downstairs in search of something to eat.

When I got to the bottom of the stairs, there was a thick aroma of pancakes which caused me to furrow my brows. I knew it couldn't be Zayn because he had left for work. Nany maybe? Nah.
As I was getting closer, a lady in a black and white uniform walked up to me with a smile on her face.
"Good morning ma'am."
She greeted and for a second I was dumbfounded but smiled and replied.
"Good morning. Who are you and what are you doing here?" I asked.
"Excuse my lack of manners ma'am, I'm Laila, one of the new maids."
She said.
"Okay," was all I said as I attempted to walk pass her but she stopped me.
"Shall I serve you your brunch now ma'am?"
She asked, smiling sweetly at me. She's very beautiful. Jet black hair and brown eyes. She's definitely not the kind of maid I would want in my matrimonial home even if I trust my man.
"Yes please, I'm starving and please stop calling me ma'am. I'm Muna."
I smiled back at her.
"Okay ma'— Muna, right up."
I noticed there was also a black van outside with a man dressed in an all black suite standing next to it. He looked like he walked out of the Men in Black movie.

A different maid brought me my brunch and introduced herself. She was very talkative and I really liked her. In a way, I wasn't going to be bored waiting for Zayn anymore— they could keep me company and I loved the idea already.
I began to eat when my phone rang. It was Zayn and I couldn't help the smile that made its way on my face.
"The house is full of people."
I said, biting my lip in anticipation. He chuckled.
"Hello to you too Princess."
He said and I scrunched up my nose with a smile. Did he just call me princess? I must be hearing things.
"Did you just call me Princess?"
I asked in disbelief and he laughed.
"I did."
He said and I could imagine a look on his face to match his voice. I chuckled.
"Did you have breakfast?"
I asked and he remained silent.
"—Okay so you don't want to answer, let's try another question."
I said and he laughed.
"Sorry I was reading something."
He apologized but I waved it off.
"Take all the time you want, I'm right here."
I took in a fork full of pancakes and maple syrup into my mouth.
"I can hear your chewing."
He said suddenly and for some stupid reason, I burst out laughing.
"Please don't tell me you're laughing with food in your mouth."
He added and that only made me laugh more— just the way he was saying it. It cracked me up.
"You're weird."
He said after I stopped laughing.
"Sorry, that just sounded soo funny."
"I'm glad I could make you laugh."
There was just something about the way he said it that let me know it had a double meaning to it. That opened my eyes to the fact that he might have overheard my conversation with Nicholas that night. This made me feel more guilty for letting that kiss to happen.
We talked back and forth for a few minutes and he had to attend a meeting he was already running late for. Everything was happening too fast.
It was my fourth day and it was already feeling like my third week due to the amount of progress. I needed to read the contract but a part of me wanted him to be present so he could explain when need be but I couldn't wait.