V

Perhaps we are all immigrantsTrading one home for anotherFirst we leave the womb for airThen the suburbs for the filthy cityIn search of a better lifeSome of us just happen to leave entire countries- Rupi Kaur

Trading one home for another
First we leave the womb for air
Then the suburbs for the filthy city
In search of a better life
Some of us just happen to leave entire countries
- Rupi Kaur

For some reason my heart had decided to make me suffer today. I woke up with only one person on my mind— Zayn.
I've been feeling nostalgic. Missing his touch even if they weren't the way I wanted them. I missed his intense stares and block-like stance. They used to irritate me but now that I don't get to see them anymore, I miss them.
I found myself longing to see his dark features again. His always neat but messy hair, his beautiful brown eyes and his incredibly soft lips.
This day felt like a day for resting and relaxation— like a Saturday but that was a luxury I couldn't afford. Nick did say yesterday that I should return today so I wasn't going to take that lightly. Who knows? Maybe I could get lucky and land myself a job even if elsewhere.
I dragged myself towards our shared bathroom. After brushing my teeth, I stepped into the tub and allowed the cold water to run down my skin. Turns out I stayed in longer because thoughts of Zayn consumed me yet again which caused me to lose track of time.

     Oh how I miss him.

This time I dressed really presentable as that rude bouncer would say. What Cheryl said yesterday did make a lot of sense. If I wanted to even be on the consideration list for that job then I needed to look like I deserve it.
I settled for a black pencil jeans, a lavender bodysuit and a black jacket. Today of all days I prayed my look gets me the gig because apparently everyone thinks I have a weird beauty. I've always been told that I had Caucasian features which most times people thought were purchased. Oh well.
Fuck everyone who thinks you have to be mixed to be beautiful.
I applied mascara and eyeliner— anything to get my icy grey eyes to stand out even more. I straightened my hair and applied red lipstick, something I've always thought never fits a darker skin tone but I needed that mystery.
If you get what I mean.
"Hey can I borrow your re—"
Cheryl badged in but stopped speaking when I turned around.
"Are you going on a date?"
She asked, eyeing me up and down.
A date my ass— I've never been one to do the whole dating thing. Sometimes I wish I could but I had more important things to do. Life isn't easy and for some of us, we have to try extra hard to survive.
I rolled my eyes. "You know I don't do dates Cher," I turned away, combing my hair.
"If I didn't know you I would have thought someone actually stuck a stick up your ass." She chuckled, coming in closer.
"I'm going back to that sunset pub," I informed her, ignoring her statement about my point of views.
"Wait let me help you."
She reached out and helped me put my hair into a ponytail which I was very grateful for— having thick and long hair can be very hard to deal with.
"Thanks," I smiled her way and she nodded.
"So you're going back there?"
She asked and I nodded. She looked at me like I was crazy for a second and then shrugged.
"Well with how you're dressed today, who knows? You might get lucky."
It was a compliment in disguise. She never straight out compliments me ever but always finds ways to incorporate it into a sentence that sounds like she wasn't complimenting me. I grinned, looking at her and she rolled her eyes.
"Oh fuck me," She muttered and walked out of my room— probably escaping the accusation she expected to follow.
"I'll just take it," She yelled from her room causing me to smile. It was probably what she came in for earlier that she was talking about.