🎈63. 🎈

I sat up quickly in bed and looked around while squinting my eyes. After adjusting to the light I let out a small yawn.

I looked over at my clock before standing up. I opened my room door and walked out. I went across the hall and knocked on Isabelle's door.

"You woke up." She acknowledged.

"Yeah..." I said as I licked my lips, "so did you find it?" I asked.

She smiled slightly as she nodded her head, "yeah." She said as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"What did you do with it?" I asked.

"Don't worry, it's long gone." She assured.

I nodded my head as I gave her a slight smile, "Okay... I'm going to meet up with Richie." I said.

"Make sure you're home before dad." She said before closing her door.

I quickly ran back to my room and slipped on some shoes before running out of the house. I quickly ran down the street and took a short cut and just ran like I was on fire.

"Cole!" I heard my name being shouted out.

I quickly stopped, almost falling on the pavement and breaking my face, I looked around and spotted Beverly's red hair.

I gave her a small smile as I waved at her from the distance.

"I-I have to be somewhere right now!" I shouted from across the street.

"We were going to go look for you after we got Richie!" She shouted back.

We?

I watched as the rest of the losers walked around the corner and stood next to Beverly.

"I'll look for you guys later! I just really have to do something, bye!" I shouted one last time before taking off running again.

I kept running on a hot summer day while my feet burned and sweat dripped down my face. Maybe everyone's right, I should try on a pair of shorts. All I wear are jeans... but then Richie might try something pervertive and I don't think I'll be comfortable with how much my legs would be exposed... maybe jeans are okay for now. It sure gets hot sometimes though.

I ran through the forest: pushing away tree branches, jumping over rocks, getting small cuts on my arms from thorns, and stumbling a few times like a baby duckling.

I felt this sudden presence behind me and I couldn't shake the feeling off. At the moment my brain was focused on one thing and one thing only. I didn't bother to stop and look around or simply turn back around and go home.

I needed to find it and I was becoming more paranoid by the second.

I hunched over while breathing heavily. I gasped for air as I wiped away the sweat on my forehead with the back of my hand. After I caught my breath I fell on my knees and began scratching at the dirt without thinking.

I felt the dirt go under my fingernails and I didn't care about the fact that it stained my clothes.

I kept digging with my hands and threw the dirt everywhere.