I Want You // Don't Abandon Me

She was sick, all that time ago. Y/n had come down with a bad fever after getting pushed into the river and walking all the way back to her family's vacation home, shivering. Y/n was laughing though, despite not fully understanding her older companions' conversation, the unusually cold wind, and Sangwoo pointing out that he could see her bra through her shirt. It was only expected that she began sniffling, sneezing and coughing.

The next day, it was revealed that her isolating herself, taking medicine and going straight to bed had all been futile. Y/n had developed a high fever and severe headaches. Her father and sister had a relatively private cruise booked, reserved for the trés riche and trés important. They tried their hardest to convince Sangwoo to attend in Y/n's place and that his mother would be fine caring for the sick girl alone. Still, Sangwoo stood his ground and politely declined the once in his lifetime offer.

"I want you to have fun," Y/n mumbled meekly in her thick accent. Everyone had gathered in the room she had been resting in. At first it was only Sangwoo and his lovely mother. The latter didn't speak a lick of English, but there was a mutual understanding between her and Y/n, despite the language barrier. Unlike her sister, Y/n managed to really bond with the sweet house wife. She was the mother Y/n never had.

She squeezed the older boy's hand, "You should go. Enjoy yourself. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." Sangwoo had dutifully stayed by her side from the very moment he got wind that she was sick. He was one to poke and tease the girl, but a bitter knot filled his stomach and an unsaid sense of obligation hardened his heart when he saw his poor girl in such pain. His mother busied herself with cleaning and making sure the towel on Y/n's forehead was still damp. She would make the kongnamulguk, a supposedly 'magical' Korean dish, and Sangwoo would sit Y/n up and help her eat.

"Don't be stupid," he brought the ill girl's clammy knuckles to his lips. "I want to be with you. I'm not so shallow to just ditch you when you're sick." He aimed a pointed glance at Y/n's older sister. She was decked out in a tight crop top and shorts that are so short they make wedgies look pitiful. When she noticed Sangwoo's gaze through her thick shades, she wiped the sneer off her face and replaced it with a flirtatious smirk and followed it by blowing a fat kiss. A cringe rolled down Sangwoo's spine.

"You treat my daughters too well," the greying widow said with a kind smile. He was fluent in Korean thanks to his long work and affiliation with the country. After his wife's death, he had only ever gone up for the summer and stayed in the small, but sweet vacation home with his two children next to the Oh household. Still, his language skills had not suffered a bit. Y/n loved being in South Korea for countless reasons. Of the top was her father. His smile was always the brightest when he was there.

"Thank you." The father lowered his head into a low and slightly dramatic bow. "I'm in your debt, please ask for anything you may need." The sight caught everyone off guard. Sangwoo's mother froze. Y/n's sister's jaw dropped with her glasses. Y/n brought her freehand over her lips and her temporary caregiver widened his eyes.

Recovering first, Sangwoo jumped to his feet and bowed out of a delayed reflex. "Please raise your head, sir. I am the one indebted to you." The girl's father rose and moved to ruffle Sangwoo's thick dark locks. The action is followed by a tight hug, the only one the two have or ever will share.

Soon enough, Y/n's father and sister left the Oh family's home and headed out to the cruise boat with their suitcases packed. Y/n would be staying with the Oh family for the night. Normally, it would be fine to leave the thirteen year old alone, but she was sick in a foreign country and they have such kind neighbors. Instead, Y/n got more time to enjoy Sangwoo's company and relish in being pampered as she struggled to make it through her pain.