Beneath The Stairs // That Officer Stirs

Seungbae hides beneath the stairs with his knees curled up to his chest. He's been doing of this a lot recently. Momentarily blinding him, the lights in the basement are turned on and two figures can slowly be seen in front of him. It's Sangwoo and the scrawny guy from the bathroom.

They have some dumb conversation about cleaning supplies and it results in Sangwoo hitting the shorter one in the back of the head while muttering, "Dumbass." Scolded and moping, the sickly looking man slinks his way up the stairs. Seungbae watches each foot and studies its strong limp as the creature moves.

Suddenly, a white flash strikes across his eyes. Had Seungbae not jumped back from the openings between the stairs when he did, he would have ended up blind, or worse, dead.

"Fuck you think you're doing in my house?" A crazed look grows in Sangwoo's eyes as he swings the knife around while perfecting his grip on the deadly weapon.

"I'm a police officer." Seungbae says sternly as he steps out from behind the stairs. He plants his feet firmly and puffs his chest to create a façade of confidence. "Drop your weapon! I have a gun!"

Sangwoo's jaw drops, "A- a gun?!" Fear floods his face. He quivers she shakes his knife in the air like a crazy person. "You're going t-to shoot me? In my own home?!"

"Drop your weapon!" Seungbae repeats, louder this time. Escaping might actually be a piece of cake. Not quite knowing what to do with his body, Seungbae points his finger sternly at the man in front of him.

Sangwoo dangles the knife by the handle, only to recollect it in his palm. He holds his arms out to either side, showing off his entire wingspan. With a sarcastic laugh, Sangwoo challenges the policeman before him. "Then shoot."

"W- what?" Seungbae's features fall and grow limp with shock.

The little fragments of a smile left on Sangwoo's face disappear, his arms falling to his side. Shadows rest across his features and his voice grows dark. "You don't even have a gun, do you." He slowly takes steps towards the man. "You would have shown it to me while you threatened me, not some nasty ass finger." And closer he comes. "You're not even in uniform. I bet you can't even call for back up, you shitty ass 'cop'."

Panicked, Seungbae shoves past Sangwoo and bolts up the stairs. Stoping the helpless victim waiting at the top, he screams "Go up! Go up!" The injured man moves too slow and Seungbae hears and feels the weight of Sangwoo's quick feet coming after him. I'm going to die! Choosing to value his own life over others', Seungbae bulldozes the injured man out of the way, knocking him up onto the hard wood of the ground floor. But by the time Seungbae turns around to lock the closet, it's too late. Sangwoo pushes back with a fraction of his strength and easily opens the door despite Seungbae's rash efforts.

Yoonbum cries as he watches the two men battle it out of front of him. His previously broken and now healing ankle throbs with uncontrollable pain. When Seungbae pushed him, his ankle got caught in the door. Once he was pushed past, his body was twisted in the complete opposite direction of his ankle. And Bum was finally able to walk again. Tears fall freely from his eyes as he crawls on the ground following the fight to the kitchen. Through watery eyes, he watches his hero, his avenger, fight the bastard that broke into their lovely warm home and ruined his body once again.

Greedily, Yoonbum watches his hubby go for the kill as Sangwoo dives at Seungbae with the knife to his gut. "Kill him!" Bum screeches at the top of his exhausted lungs. The two men collapse on the floor, Sangwoo on top and quivering. Yoonbum laughs and laughs. He did it! Only, there is no blood. Why isn't there blood? Does that demon not have blood? Slowly, that man, that officer stirs beneath Sangwoo and stands up, wiping his bloodied and hopefully broken nose. He looks down at Sangwoo's body and snickers before kicking it over. And over. And over.

At last, Yoonbum understands. Seungbae holds a taser in his hand.