His Callused Hand // Will Be Punished

"You don't love me!"

The words echo in Sangwoo's mind. He is on his feet before he realizes. His callused hand crashes down hard against Y/n's face, knocking her body straight to the floor.

The crash echoes through the still house.

"Y/n!" The sudden realization of what he has done hits him like the recoil from a gun. He drops down to his knees his fingertips trace her sobbing figure. She cries openly, not even trying to stop him as he moves her hands away from her face. It must be more shock than anything else, but he didn't mean to hit her. He never wanted to hit her. He doesn't want to hurt her, not like this. He doesn't want to be like his father.

He releases her wrists, and sighs, happy with the fact that he at least didn't break the skin. But it will still bruise if he doesn't do anything about it. "I'm sorry, Y/n. I still love you." Sangwoo leaves the room and walks slowly down to the kitchen.

The frail boy is chopping something, while whistling cheerfully. "Leave. I hate you so much I don't even want to kill you." The steady beat of the chopping is interrupted. The whistling stops. Fearful, Bum looks directly jnto the headlights. "Do me a favor and just die." The knife slips from between Bum's fingers, clattering to the cold floor. He is watching a soul drift through the house.

Sangwoo grabs ice and painkillers and is out of the kitchen before Bum can process what the hell just happened. Next, Sangwoo rummages through his mom's old stuff and quickly finds the cream she had used on their faces back a few years ago. It is expensive and they only had so much, so they could never waste it on arms, legs, backs or elsewhere. 'Just the face' he remembers.

Sangwoo returns upstairs to his room, finding Y/n right where he left her: face down on the floor. Sangwoo flips her over on to her back and cradles her head in his lap. "This will make it feel better." He places some of the thick cream onto the injured strip of her face that travels along her cheek bone. The ointment brings a pleasant cool and tingly sensation. She lifts her fingers up to feel it, but Sangwoo gently guides her hand down and back to her side. "Don't touch it."

Next, he places the ice over the injury and holds it down softly. Y/n shrinks away at first, but eventually melts into his hold. Why can't she stop loving him?

"I'm sorry I said that earlier... I didn't mean it." Y/n chokes out. Why is she apologizing? He just hit her? "D- did it make you that upset?" Sangwoo shifts her in his arms, pulling her to sit with her back against his chest. Finally answering her question, Sangwoo nods.

"Then... about the basement."

"I don't want to put you back down there," Sangwoo nearly interrupts. But he will.

Y/n moves her head up and down slowly, rerunning his words through her head. "Thank you. But, then... about what I saw." Her voice quivers, but her eyes remain dry. "Was that really a-"

"I killed him." Sangwoo's eyes smile, sensing a topic that he can finally be comfortable with. "Well Bum did it, but you should have seen the way he was shaking... how he started begging for his pitiful life." Y/n stiffens in his arms. She doesn't want to hear it. She doesn't want to believe it. Not her Sangwoo. It can't be her Sangwoo. Her Sangwoo would never- could never kill someone. Yet, somehow, it all made too much sense.

"Let's do it together next time, okay my love?" Sangwoo places kisses on the back of her head, nuzzling his nose in her hair. The gesture set a stone in her, sinking deeper and deeper into the depths of her gut. "Just me and you, okay? You don't have to worry about Bum coming between us."

"I don't want to." The words leave Y/n before she can think of their later consequences.

A cough like laugh juts out of Sangwoo. "You think I care?"

He jumps from under Y/n, letting her back fall to the floor. "My Wife doesn't reject me. I love all of her. It's only fair that she loves all of me."

"Bad wives will be punished."