A Hand Over Hers // Woman's Intuition

"I'm gonna go and wait in line with the boys. The line is pretty long so feel free to go around the park with Hyunwoo. I'll text you once they are on so that y'all can start heading back to meet us." Without getting input from Sangwoo, Y/n starts unzipping her wallet to hand her boyfriend some cash. She is the host, so it's only right for her to cover all the expenses.

Making Y/n stop and look up, Samgwoo places a hand over hers. "Babe, I don't want your money." He doesn't add that he is the man and that he should be the one taking care of her, not the other way around. But, he knows good and well that Y/n has a higher income than him which will only make it more of a pain to explain to her why he should be the one who is paying. Either way, now is just not the time to have that conversation. "I'll go with the boys, I know you have to finish editing that manuscript. You can finish it in a cafe or something and I'm sure Hyunwoo won't mind waiting with you."

"But I'm-"

Knowing what she is going to say before she says it, Sangwoo cuts her off. "If you don't do it now, when will you have the chance?"

Y/n bites her lip, pondering this. The deadline is today, and even if she went straight home and started working, she probably wouldn't even be able to finish in time. She sighs, and that's under the assumption that she gets home before the deadline. "...You're right."

"I know I am." Sangwoo places his hands over her elbows and takes a moment to let his hands glide down the sides of her arms. His eyes follow the path of his hands, but he doesn't miss the opportunity to flick his gaze up at Hyunwoo. A satisfied smirk grows on his face as he locks his hands with Y/n's. To think he'd have an idol-trainee goggling at him like that... life really is made up of the unexpected. "I'm really happy to be able to spend time with my son and my beautiful wife."

A rush of nervousness flows through Y/n.

Wife.

"Th- the boys are getting restless," Y/n mutters out without making eye contact.

"They sure are." Sangwoo winks, before turning away to go lead JoJo and Jaewon to the line. 

Feeling as if she missed some underlying meaning, she watches Sangwoo's back as it disappears. After a moment, Y/n retreats to Hyunwoo's side. "Sorry for the wait."

The taller male looks down at the foreign girl and away from the comic that he was reading on his cracked phone. "Ah, no. You're fine."

Y/n shares a small friendly smile. "Um, I hope you don't mind, but I have to find a café to do some work. You're free to join me if you'd like, I'll pay."

"I'd love to, thank you."

The pair walk in a natural silence with a respectful distance in between them. Soon, they find a quaint café in the busy amusement park. They had to avoid all the fun and strange ones as they were far too crowded. The two seemed to agree that the less populated, the better.

"So what work do you do, Y/n?" The pair are seated at a small table next to a window to the back of the cafe. Y/n had bought some hot drink that had a cool name and after nagging Hyunwoo, she was able to buy him a jumbo cookie and a bottled water.

As she pulls her laptop out from her bag she explains, "I work for a publishing agency." Before opening the old device, she glances up at the masked man. She is relieved to see him clicking away on his phone; it means that she can work without the worry of having to entertain. "I edit and write different kinds of stories. Novels, manhwa, kids books, you name it."

"That's impressive." Hyunwoo sighs and looks up from his black screen. 'I wish I could be successful.' He clicks his tongue. "Just how do you do it? A family, a job, education... how do you manage to be so good at it all?"

Y/n continues to clack away on the computer. She works a combination of five tabs as she edits and makes notes for the novel's author. It's a work of fiction, but it is definitely going to change someone's life: Y/n can feel it. "Well, I wasn't always this good, and I still think that I have a lot farther to go." Y/n holds down the delete key as she fixes the author's atrocious grammar. "But I wouldn't paint me in such a great light if I were you. You're only looking at a fraction of what I do, y'know. Just the surface." She glances up at the man, meeting his eyes. "There's more to my story than you may think."

They revert to their original silence, Y/n lost in work and Hyunwoo lost in thought.

At some point, Hyunwoo releases a long sigh. "Then how do you keep it together? ...the surface."

Y/n chuckles. "The novel I'm working on is in its final stages." She glances up and sees his confused look, but ignores it and returns her focus to the screen. "It's about an idol group, but I think everyone can relate to the story." Y/n doesn't see her companion stiffen. "The members of the group had all started from different places. They put in extraordinary amounts of effort and suffered many losses along the way. But, somehow, they are able to show the world the fruits of their labor and the glory of their successes." Y/n pauses and looks at the confused Hyunwoo. "Well, all that to say, there are numerous losses behind every success. The ones that succeed the most are the ones that don't become hindered by their mistakes and misfortunes." She realizes that she has yet to connect it back to her original point. "So, the surface you see contains the successes as the failures are just left in their shadow. Which also means that before the success, the light, it often feels like a world of darkness."

Y/n trails off and laughs awkwardly, "If that makes sense."

Hyunwoo stares at hr for a moment, before nodding to himself. "No, it makes sense. Thank you."

Still slightly embarrassed at her speech, Y/n just nods and goes back to work. She continues until Hyunwoo's smooth voice calls for her attention. "What of Sangwoo then?"

"Pardon?" Y/n looks at him with her head slightly tilted.

"Sorry, my mind just trailed to him." Y/n thought he was going to stop talking, but he continued. "His 'surface' is rather plain, but I get the feeling that there is more to him... I was just thinking about that."

Y/n thinks for a moment and ponders how much she should say. "At some point, I feel like he just decided it was better to not stand out."

"Why do you think that?"

His abusive father. His unstable mentality. His... hobbies.

"Woman's intuition."

Y/n's phone buzzes and with practiced movements, she opens to the newest message.

Sangwoo: They just got on the ride

"That was Sangwoo. Ready to head back?"

Hyunwoo gives a good nod and the two gather their belongings before hurrying out of the small café.