The Amazing Mother // What Was He Expecting?

The stench of chemicals fill Sangwoo's lungs with each breath he takes. Everything is white from the ceiling to the floor and the reflected light hurts Sangwoo's eyes. Silently, Sangwoo sits by the sleeping Y/n's side and twirls a single lock of her soft hair. He hopes Y/n can come home soon.

Y/n was only awake for a little bit after the doctors finished the surgery. Like the amazing mother she is, she sent Sangwoo all the details he needed in order to pick up JoJo from Jaewon's house. And like the amazing girlfri- fiancée she is, she shared some new information about the police officer that she had spoken with at the café. Y/n said that she's 90% sure that it's the bastard that had intimidated her in front of Sangwoo's house when she had visited after finding out about his parents. The same one that Sangwoo has noticed following him. Something must be done about the little pest.

A light knock sounds at the door, how polite. An old man with grey hair and glasses enters the hospital room with a clipboard. "I see you've finally calmed down." Sangwoo ignores the oldman and focuses on Y/n's rising and falling chest. He had put up a fight with the surgeons earlier. They hadn't explained anything to him or Y/n and kept insisting that she was put under the blade immediately. Did they really expect him to just let them to do as they please?

"How long until she can leave the hospital?"

"Three days," the old man relays after flipping some papers on his clipboard. "She'll need to wear a brace full time for a month, part time for two and then she'll be all better. Crutches are optional after the first month."

"And how much does her insurance cover?"

Starting to get annoyed, the old man clears his throat. "You should face your elders when speaking to them."

"You should make sure your patients fully understand the situation before rushing them into surgery," Sangwoo snaps back.

Caught off guard, the man fixes his already perfect tie. "Sh- She'll have to come up with around with five hundred thousand won. Her insurance covers the rest."

"Alright." Sangwoo stands from the seat he's been siting in for the past six hours. He faces the much shorter man and smiles. "I'm really thankful for you all doing what you can for my Y/n. I'm just worried about her."

"O- Of course," he hesitates at the sudden change in attitude. "It must've been scary for you both."

"Yeah," Sangwoo signs showing a face of concern. "I don't want to leave her here alone... but I have work, school, and our child to take care of."

The man's ears perk at the mention of a child. The pair look fairly young to have a child already. And there was no spouse listed in the patient's file. "Most people are worried about leaving their loved ones in the hospital," the seasoned surgeon sympathizes.

"Sir, you don't understand," Sangwoo politely notes. "Y/n has a stalker. What if he tries to get to her while I'm not here?"

"Oh no," the old man's eyebrows furrow. "How about we make it so that visitors aren't permitted?"

Sangwoo shakes his head. "Y/n will definitely want to work. She has many friends and associates too, I'm sure they would want to visit her. Even if I want to, I can't just keep her all to myself."

The pair think in calculated silence. Sangwoo is the first to come up with a decision. "Sir, could a staff member call me if a lone older Korean man with short hair comes to visit her?"

The man's eyes widen in surprise at the idea. "Certainly! Just wrote your number here." He quickly hands Sangwoo the clipboard and a pen. "But couldn't that description easily fit one of her friends or coworkers?"

Sangwoo writes his name and his number. "If they are her coworkers, they won't come alone. Especially if they are male," Sangwoo explains. "If they are her friends they will be around our age. And the only male friend she has that's older than us isn't Korean."

"Ohohoho," the man laughs jollily. "I like you, you're a smart kid! If you want to purchase anything while you're here, just tell them that your Surgeon Choi Jaeho's grandkid. They'll take care of you."

"Thank you, sir!" Sangwoo's fake smile paints his handsome face as he bows to the older man.  In a much better mood than what he had entered the room with, the old man takes his leave.

The moment the door shuts, Sangwoo rolls his eyes. Acting is hard. But it's worth it as long as he gets what he wants, right?

Shrugging on his jacket, Sangwoo bends over and plants a light kiss on Y/n's chapped lips. He'll have to ask a nurse to bring her some water for when she wakes up. "I love you, Y/n."

Not getting a response, Sangwoo straightens up and chuckles at himself while running his fingers through his hair. What was he expecting anyway?

Before shutting the hospital room's door behind him, Sangwoo mumbles, "Always," to the injured and unconscious love of his life. Temporarily leaving her side, Sangwoo sets off in search of an idle nurse.