Chapter 3

"Well, looks like someone's popular," Katie whispers, trying not to catch the attention of Mrs. Sanders.

"Ugh, stop it. You're making a big deal over nothing," I glare at my best friend to get her to stop talking about it, but she just smiles a huge grin.

Looks like that grin Andy flashed before is contagious, I better watch it.

Speaking of Andy, the reason why my best friend is making fun of me is because for the entire English class, Andy has been staring intensely at the back of my head. My best friend is just itching to set me up and to annoy me, but I know there's something more going on.

He's staring with a puzzled look on his expression, and his eyebrows are causing deep wrinkles to form on his forehead. The way he's staring you would think that I'm the one who's part of The Unwanted and no one can tell if my intentions are bad or good.

"You're not gonna beat him up because he's crossed your staring boundaries or something are you?" My best friend looks at me like she knows that if we weren't in class I would have punched the guy.

I roll my eyes. "Hey, that was Ed. This is completely different!"

"Mmhmm, sure it is," Katie gives me a smug look and that look says it all. That look translates to "You're just fooling yourself, we both know you would have at least slapped him"

I groan inside. I love my best friend, but sometimes she can be so annoying when she reads me like a book.

"Katie, Ed is 2 years younger than me, so yes him and Andy are completely different subjects! Besides, you know I'm not into the whole, you know," I tell her trying to get her to back off the subject.

"Alright, alright I surrender!" She throws her hands up in mock defeat. I roll my eyes at her once again.

"Well, if you're not going to beat him up then what ARE you going to do?" She asks me, while still mocking me.

I ignore her jab and say "I'm going to talk to him, you know, talking, what humans who are civil do," I tell her.

"YOU talking? To a guy? Did I miss something? Are you sick?" Katie says surprised at my suggestion.

*Sigh* She's looking at me like I'm an alien or something. Well it IS true that as long as we've been friends I've never talked to guys, in fact I tend to stay far away from them. So, I can understand her reaction, but that doesn't make it less annoying.

"Yes, Katie I'm going to take part in the human action known as talking. I'm not a robot, you know. I can do it, I just chose not to"

"Exactly, that's why I'm asking if you're alright!" She says clearly loving this.

That's when the bell rings signaling the end of English class, meaning my exit card to this conversation.

"Look, I gotta run if I want to make it to my next class. I'll tell you what I find out at lunch," I say grabbing my books and heading out the doors.

"Good luck! Don't pass out from shock!" She yells at me, trying to get the last jab.

"Trust me I won't!" I reply then rush out to make sure she can't reply.

...

I rush out and find Andy slightly ahead of me in the halls, not wanting to attract attention to myself I speed up to reach him.

"Hey Andy!" I say and tap him on the shoulder to get his attention.

"Oh, if it isn't Cas! What's up?" He says with that smile plastered on his face again. Ugh, he seems so nice but why does he have to smile like that? It makes me uncomfortable. Focus Cas! He's a boy and he was glaring at you, find out why!