Chapter 43

"Ethan has requested to see you."

Well, isn't that just great.

Hey, look on the bright side! We can finally try and escape!

Yeah, yeah. You were a lot more tolerable when you were depressed.

Ouch!

The government worker pulls out a ring of keys from his jacket pocket, interrupting our internal argument. He slowly picks through the keys until he reaches the fifth key and flips it up. Then he places the key into the lock and turns causing the lock to click open before he pulls open our creaky cell door.

Without a word, he stares at us with his dark grey eyes that highlight his short brown hair and his height which is a few inches taller than Andy. As though it was what he was hoping to accomplish, his stare causes Andy and I to immediately comply as we make our way out of the cell. Well, at least Andy does. Our talk before had distracted me and made me forget about my injuries. Those injuries throb to life once I try to walk and send a wave of pain through my body. Once the pain hits, the nausea follows and I find myself coming in closer contact with the floor. Thankfully, I never manage to hit the floor.

"Woah! Easy there." Andy chuckles as he grabs me in his arms before I hit the floor. "Oh what am I going to do with you? Looks like someone forgot about their injuries!" He mocks me jokingly as he fakes an exasperated shake of his head.

"Urgh. My bad for deciding to be caring and listen to your sob story! Besides, I wouldn't be feeling like crap if someone didn't make me sleep on the ground!" I weakly try to raise my arm to punch him in his arm, but he grabs my hand before I can and smirks.

"You're going to have to try better than that, princess." Andy mocks me again before winking at me and I groan in exasperation. "Besides, you told me before not to treat you like a damsel in distress!" Da-I stop myself from thinking anything in my head, knowing he was probably reading my thoughts so that he could find something else to annoy me with.

His annoying, usual half-smile appears and I once again groan in irritation while I push him away. "You sure you should do that? You're looking a little tipsy there." I shoot him a glare, but his smile never fades.

"Shut. Up." I irritatedly mutter as I somehow make it out of the cell on wobbly legs with Andy following in my footsteps.

After a while of following Ethan's lapdog in silence we end up silently moving to having me leaning on Andy for support.

The Lacky, the name I decided to give the government worker since I had no idea what his actual name was, silently led us through a maze I could only assume was the government. While we were walking, I ended up sighing as I realized that this was my vision about being captured. It came true regardless of my vow to refuse to be captured and it was all my fault. All because I made the mistake of rushing into a fight I had no knowledge of.

Realizing that my thoughts were heading to a dark place, I quickly shook my head to clear it. There was no time to put myself into self-pity. I did enough of that before. Now, it was time to act.

We continued walking in silence down a long, dark passageway that had a moist feeling, but was really cold. All the halls we had been walking down so far had the same feeling. This lead me to one conclusion. As cliche as it was; our cell was in a dungeon. How a government facility managed to hide a dungeon within it, I will never know.

What are you thinking so hard about? Andy's thoughts filter into my head and I look over at him to see a questioning expression on his face. I must have had an intense thinking look on mine as he seems genuinely concerned.