Epilogue

"Where is everyone?! They should've been back by now!" I was pacing back and forth, worry gnawing itself deep into my gut.

"Flary, relax! Worrying like that is only going to stress you out! It's not healthy!" Sky advises me, though not everyone could be as optimistic as she is. Usually, I'd be grateful for her optimism. Sometimes, it even calms me. Today, however, was different. Especially since the radio silence from our comrades could easily be taken as death.

How many times?

How many times had our fellow bibloods been late coming back from missions then had their dead bodies found not long after?

I had lost count.

A flashback of blood and them flashes before my eyes. The day that changed everything, that lead to today. All because we let our guard down.

"Sky, I love you, but not even your optimism can save this." Sighing, I walk over to look out the window for the who-knows-how-many time today, as though they'll all come falling from the sky.

"Flare.." I hear the chair she was sitting on scrape as Sky gets up and walks over to me. 

"Hey, It's going to be alright. I mean, look at the sky! That must be a good sign, right?" Sky was right. The sky was a clear blue, filled with fluffy, white clouds and the sun was shining bright. Birds were chirping in the distance, and our fellow bibloods were outside, enjoying the nice weather while getting some much needed fresh air.

"You're right. I'm sure nothing terrible is-" My words were cut off my the sound of thundering hoofbeats echoing throughout the Compound.

No way.

"Well, looks like there really was no need to worry, huh?" Sky laughs, before sending a message to Trace and Rash who were researching in the library. Not long after she sent the message, they both came crashing through the door of the office.

"Hey, we got the message! What's-" I held up a hand, cutting Rash off before he could start firing a barrage of questions.

"Before you ask, we have no idea what's causing the commotion either. We were just about to go check it out."

"Indeed, that would be the best course of action." Trace adds, and I nod my head before walking past the both of them out the door.

I hear their footsteps following me as I make my way over to the wood-side entrance, the one typically used during missions to avoid the sensor on the main one and helps keep us covered during missions. All the bibloods, experienced and trainees alike, were gathered and over their chattering I could just make it out.

"Yes! We made it!"

"Hey! Did you forget I'm injured! You pulled on the reigns way too hard!"

"Relax, Vile! You're still alive, aren't you?"

"Barely."

"You know just because you mutter, doesn't mean I can't hear you!"

"Don't the two of you have some kind of off switch?"

"I've been looking for it since I met them, Evelyn. Still haven't found it."

"Hey!"

"Hey yourselves!"

"That's not-Cassy! You're safe!"

"Woah, watch it! I may be alive, but I'm injured! And from the looks of things, so are you."

The five of them were chattering none stop, while their two companions stood on the sidelines amused. 

"Well, it seems they sure haven't changed." Sky giggles and Trace and I shake our heads unamused.