Chapter 28

"No."

"C'mon, pleeease!"

"No way. Not happening."

"But, but what if-"

"Wow, I never knew you wanted to die early." Andy scoffs as he rolls his eyes at me and I huff like a child as I cross my arms over my chest, still refusing to give up. We had been riding for a day already having left  the Central Sanctum and as we were passing by a particular stretch of land, I noticed that it was in fact a wetland. Having never seen land like this, I thought that it would be the perfect place to further my skills and to experiment what I can do in a different landscape, so that I can be prepared for all possible outcomes. Also there may or may not be some cute freshwater turtles that may or may not have caught my attention with their cuteness that may or may not be there.

Okay so I really wanted to see those turtles, but I also wanted to train! I mean it's a huge mass of water, water connects to the earth, so might be able to control it! It would be the perfect way to solve my whole 'dependent on air' issue when it comes to fighting others! I could also become dependent on water instead, but there was no way I was going to let that happen!

"I don't want to die early! I want to train!"

"And what exactly is the difference? Training in an unknown land? Sounds like danger to me." He raises an eyebrow as he stares at me out of the corner of his eye while he keeps directing Misty forward.

"The difference is that training involves developing your skills, so that you can fight off said danger!" I throw up my hands, exasperated, as our argument keeps going in circles and I can't seem to win. A tiny part of me thinks that while he is doing this to protect me, he is also doing it to mess with me.

"Did you miss the whole 'unknown territory' part, or have your new powers gone to your head?" He sarcastically replies, not even bothering to look at me this time as his voice has gone cold and his jaw is set in line.

Okay, that doesn't seem good. But, I refuse to give up!

"Seems you've also forgotten that I can read your mind." Andy tells me dryly and I turn in my saddle to glare at him, but he keeps his gaze fixated ahead of him.

"Andy! Get. Out. Of. My. Head!" In response he scoffs with a smirk playing on the edge of his mouth, the only telling feature that tells me that the teasing Andy I know is not completely gone.

"It's not my fault you're an open book." He mutters and I throw another glare his way, but choosing to be the smart young adult that I am, I choose to ignore his comment and steer the conversation back to the topic at hand.

"Anyway, even if there's danger I'll be fine!" Andy shoots me a smirk and I roll my eyes at him.

"What makes you say that?"

"Well not to be narcissistic or anything, but I'm a pretty powerful triblood." Andy raises an eyebrow at me , but does not say anything in reply causing me to blush a little in embarrassment.

"What, you mean those underdeveloped powers of yours?"

"Andy!"

"I mean it, Cas! This isn't a joke! When it comes down to it, the way yours powers stand is not enough!" At these words I start seething in anger and it takes all of my self control to remain seated in my saddle.

"That's exactly why I want to train!" Andy sighs and runs a hand through his straight hair, the exact mirror in colour as my own, and tries to collect himself as I can tell he's getting annoyed from this 'argument' of ours.

"Cas, its only been a day. We can't deviate from schedule."

"Yes we can! All we have to do is adjust it slightly!"

"We still have five whole days to go!" His tone has become cold now, exactly like that time when we sparred and I feel like slapping the guy in response. Unlike last time, I know the reason is because he cares about me and I'd be flattered if not for the whole Terminator persona he puts on.

"Exactly! Which is why we should train while we have the chance!"

"You are unbelievable, you know that!" He's said this line to me a few times before, but this time there is no humour laced within his words-only cold fury. I feel a chill work its way up may back and goose bumps forming on my arms and I shiver slightly. It may be turning into fall, but I have a leather jacket on which should be keeping me warm enough. That's when I notice the extent of the effect that Andy's words have on me.

"But, you made a promise!" I bite back and in response he raises an eyebrow at me and I glare at him. There's no way he forgot!

"You promised Flare you would protect me!"

"That was only if you got attacked while having a vision! Not if you get attacked after I voluntarily put you in danger!"

"Andy look around! There is no danger!" I wave my arms around us, signalling the shining morning sun, the trees swaying in the light breeze and the peaceful chirping of the birds.

"Just because there is no danger now, doesn't guarantee that none will come!"

"And if any danger comes we'll handle it!"

"No." I take a deep breathe and open my mouth, preparing a strong counter, but I did not expect the next words that came out of his mouth.

"Andy-"

"DANG IT CAS! I CARE ABOUT YOU AND THERE IS NO WAY I'M GOING TO LOSE YOU!" He looks at me with fire in his eyes and I freeze.

At these words I'm dumb struck into silence and Andy, having just realized what he said, closes his mouth and turns away from me causing a heavy silence to hang between us.

Andy just said he cares about me, but I have no idea in which way. Are we just friends, or are we more? Do I want it to be more? I don't really know, seeing as I'm kinda new to the whole 'talking to guys' thing much less having feelings for one. Katie on the other hand has always been able to talk to guys, having crushes here and there, and even having a few flings. Being her best friend I of course supported her on the side lines, but never once considered having a romantic relationship of my own. Maybe it's time I started thinking about it more seriously, even if Andy didn't mean it that way. It may be for the best if I can figure out my feelings before I am put in an awkward situation and don't know how to react. That will have to wait until this mission is over first, which means not straining the current relationship we have.

"Andy." I call out tentatively and his head turns to face me and we make full eye contact for the first time since this argument began. That's when I notice his gaze has melted showing that he is no longer the terminator Andy anymore and I can see the regret in his eyes about yelling at me, but also the care he holds for me. As a result my heartbeat throbs in my ears and I have a hard time forming my next string of words.

"I'm sorry." I manage to say softly and he smiles gently at me, coming closer to Spunk so that he can ruffle my hair.

"I'm sorry too, Caterpillar." I smile back at him as I pat my hair into place, but I can't resist having one more dab at annoying him.

"So, no training then?" He rolls his eyes as he ruffles up my hair again and I playfully smack his hand away from my hair as I scramble to fix it again.

"Hey!"

"You just love ruining sweet moments between us, don't you?" Before I can reply, he taps his feet against the barrels on Misty's sides taking off on a fast gallop, but not before shouting a paring line.

"By the way, I know you just wanted to see those turtles!" I stare at his receding back with my mouth agape which he sees when he looks back over his shoulder. He starts laughing at my embarrassment as he continues urging Misty ahead. "Hurry up, we've got a schedule to keep!"

"Jerk!" I yell back as I urge Spunk to catch up with him while laughing in response to him getting pouty that I interrupted our moment and I can't help thinking that it was pretty cute. Alright, I guess no more asking to go off schedule, even if it's for training purposes.