Chapter 54

"Any progress?"

"No, she's still the same."

"Samuel, did you stay here all night again?"

"I told you Dil, call me Sam!"

"Forget about that for now! Sam, this isn't healthy! You haven't been eating properly either."

Their voices leaked into my consciousness, and I felt myself slowly start to awaken. I felt myself slowly start to awaken, however I had yet to open my eyes for fear of the harsh sunlight that would meet them. I could feel an IV drip hooked up to my arm, but I knew that there were no hospitals nearby. This had to be homemade by Adalena, which made since considering how they'd made it so far living out on their own. Slowly, my body and senses were starting to awaken and then I felt it.

The pain.

I knew my body was bruised, but nothing could compare to the unbearable pain in my side from where the hooded women had struck me. Before I could try and hold it back, a cry in the form of a groan escaped my lips and I felt tears leaking from my eyes.

"V, hey it's okay. Open your eyes, V look at me." Sam coaxes gently and I slowly peel open my eyes, sunlight blinding me. Sam stared back at me, his eyes gentle as he uses his thumbs to wipe away my tears from where he was sitting on a wooden chair beside the bed.

"I'll go get Adlena!" Ev calls out, before rushing out the door, her face a mix of being relieved and worried.

"It's good to see you awake again. You need some food in you, I'll be right back." Dilan smiles at me gently, before turning and heading out the door Ev just left through. Looking around, I realized I must be in the medical room of Adalena's second hideout. There were several beds lined up to hold sick patients, with a wooden cupboard holding, I assumed, all the medicine. Medical tools were strewn about along with bandages and if I didn't know, I would think this was a hospital founded in the woods.

"How're you feeling?" Sam breaks the silence to ask as he brushes some of my hair out of my eyes.

"It hurts, Sam." I manage to say horsley as I feel more hot tears form in my eyes.

"The painkillers Adalena gave you must have worn off. You were unconscious until yesterday night, you started thrashing around in your sleep. Adalena was worried you'd reopen your wounds, so she gave you some heavy painkillers to put you back to sleep."

The conversation he was having with Ev and Dilan earlier hit me and I realized, Sam has been by my side since we got back. I took his appearance, his clothes were the same, his hair was disheveled and he had huge dark circles under his eyes,

"Sam...Have you been by my side this whole time? How...how long have I been out?" Slowly, I managed to ask him as my tongue felt like cement against my mouth.

"It's been three days and yeah, I have. I was too worried to leave your side." He eyes me gently with concern and I feel my heart squeeze inside my chest.

"You should go eat and get some rest." I whisper worry written all over my face, but he shakes his head and reaches out to grab my hand.

"I'm alright, I promise. I've been napping here and there and Adalena has been giving me food whenever she can. Besides, I like it here." He adds the last part with a grin and I smile weakly back at him as he rubs circles on my hand with his thumb.

The smile doesn't last for long as another wave of pain passes through me and tears build up in my eyes again. "Sam." Is all I manage to cry as I bring my hand to my side, where I can feel a bandage covering the wound under my shirt.

"Hey, It's all right." He reassures me, leaning over to pet my hair, his hand warm and soft runs over my head repeatedly, the gesture calming me. Scooting over in the bed, I make some room for him and gesture him over with my hand.