Chapter 47

"Alright, here we are! Make yourselves comfortable!" Doctor Healmer ushers us into her doctors office, closing the door behind her.

"Have a seat." She gestures to the sick beds that lie in every doctor's or nurse's office. Andy and I follow her request, each taking a seat on a different bed.

I allow my eyes to wander as I take in my surroundings. As expected of the government, only the best of the best medical supplies and tools lie on the tables, counters or hang from the walls. Medicine too expensive to buy fills the shelves and cabinets to the brim, and I am unable to stop the anger that bubbles through my veins at the sight. Of course they would give themselves the best of the best, leaving the rest of us to suffer while we fend for ourselves. Once I am able to tear my eyes away from the medicine, I take in just how clean the office is. Just like the corridor and Victoria Price's office, everything shines, except everything in here is mostly white so it is blinding when one stares at it for too long.

"I can see why you work here." I say, my lips tight the only sign of the irritation I am currently feeling.

"Trust me. If I didn't have a contract that allows me to be able to leave to help and heal people in towns in cities who need it, I wouldn't be here. Though the equipment and medicine is pretty tempting." She gives a wry smile and I start in shock. I must have let what I was feeling show on my face in some way.

"What do you mean? Ethan is okay with that?" There is no way that the Ethan I was just talking to would agree to that. He likes having power over others, something he had no problem showing me.

In answer to my question, Dr. Healmer laughs. "Him? Oh Cassandra, dear, you and I both know he would never agree to that! No, no it was Tori who I have to thank for that one! In case you're wondering, I mean Victoria Price."

"Wait, you and her are?" I ask, unsure exactly what they are.

"Friends? Yes, we are. I owe my job to her, so I try my best to help her however I can! It helps that she is actually caring, unlike that brute Ethan." I allow the information to sink in as it swirls around in my head. If she is that close to Victoria, then that means she must be in on everything!

I try my best to exchange a look with Andy, but she is quick to notice. "Oh, don't worry about hiding anymore! Tori already told me everything! It's okay to relax, this office is closed off to people unless I bring them here myself. I usually try my best to heal them in their offices or their homes and only bring them here if their illness is serious. So feel free to discuss everything freely, Tori should be around soon!"

The both of us sit there in silence. Can we trust her, Andy?

I think so, don't you? She seems like she's telling the truth anyway.

Alright then. Simultaneously, we both release a deep breath that we had no idea we were holding, our shoulders relaxing.

"There we go! Okay, we'll start with you!" Dr. Healmer points to Andy who looks at her in confusion.

"Me?"

"Yep! You haven't properly introduced yourself to me, afterall! Which I'm assuming was somehow a part of your act earlier?" Once again she leaves us speechless.

"Oh, come on! That act may have worked on an idiot like Ethan, but anyone with a brain can see the bond between you two!"This time, her words cause us to blush as we turn away from one another.

"Aw, you guys are too cute! So, what's the deal? Are you guys dating?" She inquires, grinning like the Cheshire Cat from Alice In Wonderland.

"No!" Andy and I deny, a little too forcefully and quickly.

"Well, looks like you might be soon!" She smiles snugly at us and we both respond by giving her the 'are you kidding me?' look.