Chapter 35 ~ Violet

"Hey Vile can we rest yet? I'm so tired and hungry!" Samuel whines at me once again for about the twentieth time since we've set off with Evelyn.

"No Mule! We rest when the schedule says to rest!" I reply for the twentieth time today.

"But there's only twenty minutes left!" He complains with the schedule in his hands and I sigh.

"Then we keep going for twenty more minutes!" I reply, irritated.

"But-" Before he can answer me with another complaint, Evelyn interjects saving me from his annoyance.

"C'mon Sam. It's just twenty minutes. It'll pas by before you know it." She tells him shyly, squeezing her hands in her palm.

That must've taken a lot of courage. I give her a look of gratitude and she gives me a small smile in return.

"Finally someone calls me Sam!" He exclaims and I give him a look.

"Really?" I sigh again as I rub my forehead, feeling a migraine coming on. "Y'know what? Never mind. Will you stop complaining now?"

He opens his mouth probably to argue what I said, but before he can I shoot him a glare. Seeing my expression, he clams his mouth shut and turns back to face the front in his saddle.

Good grief. He's going to be the end of me. Where's Cassy when you need her? Especially since Dilan's unable to help now.

"Is he always like this?" Evelyn asks me in a whisper from her saddle.

"Sadly, yes." I reply to her with a sigh. "But, you get used to his annoyance eventually."

"You don't seem annoyed though." She says bluntly and I start.

"What?" I ask in surprise turning to look at her in my saddle.

"Oh sorry! I didn't mean to be rude! I just meant that under all those sighs you seem happy whenever you're with him." She explains herself in a rush and I hold up a hand to calm her down.

"Ev, he's my friend! Of course I get happy when he's around!" She seems hesitant and I can tell she does not believe me.

"Are you sure you only see him as a friend?"

"Yes!" I quickly shoot the word out in denial not wanting to consider this topic.

"Look thank you for your advice, but I barely know the guy! There's no way I've developed feelings for him!"

"Okay, I'll drop it. Sorry." She mumbles quietly and I bump my shoulder against hers from my saddle.

"Hey, it's fine! There's no need to apologize! Your one of us now, so this kind of talk is normal!"

Evelyn smiles at me. "Okay, but can I ask you one more thing?" She looks to the side while playing with her ponytail.

Here it comes.

"Sure, what is it?" I say, giving her a push and she takes a deep breath.

"What's the deal with Dilan?" I smile as I jab her playfully in the shoulder.

"If your asking if he's single he is. And if your asking if you think he likes you, I think he does. After all he's usually roasting Mule, but he's been a stuttering mess ever since you came."