Chapter 44 ~ Violet

Was this really okay? Should we have tried another way? What if he kills us?! Wait, no. If he wanted to kill us we would be dead already seeing as we're weak and we've lost a member. Besides, we would've been dead either way so-

Okay, Violet stop! That's enough of these dark thoughts! You may be exhausted, but you have to pull yourself together! Shaking my head to clear it, I pull my attention back into the present to find Mule staring at me.

"What's up?" I ask him and he shrugs before turning his head in the other direction.

"Nothing." I raise my right eyebrow at him, but he says nothing in response. Shrugging, I turn my attention back to the guy who basically holds our lives in his hands.

What was that about? I am unable to stop myself from thinking that as we continue to ride along in silence with no idea of where we are heading.

"Hey, um, you mind telling us where you're taking us? Or even who you are? I mean we're grateful for your help and all..." I speak up into the silence, wanting some answers. The thought of being lead around by some stranger who holds are life in their hands without knowing where exactly we are headed has we worried.

"Relax, I'm not going to kill you or something like that!" He chuckled as he glanced back at me, a small smile lighting up his face.

"Not really sure about that one." I mutter in response and he bursts out laughing. I start in shock and all I can do is stare at him.

Why are all the guys I know insane?!

"Well, I guess I can't fault you for thinking that! Anyway, trust me I think I've had enough of being on the bad guy's side. The name's Devon Carter by the way! Nice to meet you!"

He smiles widely at me and I cannot help but feel uncomfortable. How am I supposed to respond to that? Does he really expect me to believe that he just suddenly decided to drop the bad guy's hat?

"Regardless of whether or not you're our enemy will have to wait. We need to where we're going at the moment." Dilan speaks up for the first time in a while since Ev got hurt. His lips are pressed into a hard line and his eyes are cold as they stare at Devon.

"Okay, I'm sensing some hostility! Is it about your lady friend? She doesn't appear to be in the best shape!" He gestures in Evelyn's direction who is swaying atop her horse that is being lead forwards by Dilan. Her eyes are half open with her mouth hanging open and her skin growing even paler.

"I'm guessing you have a way to help her?" At his question, I bite my lip in thought thinking over whether or not it would be a good idea to tell him. On the one hand he could only be pretending to be a good guy, while on the other he could actually be one and help us save Evelyn.

Knowing if I glanced in Dilan's direction that he wouldn't be able to help in his condition, I turned to Sam. As if he were expecting it, he meets my eyes and immediately gives me a shrug. We're dead either way, is what I translate that into and I nod my head. He's right. Not much left to lose at the moment. Taking a deep breath, I tell him about the village where we were planning to take Evelyn. When he asks how I know the village will help, I tell him about Leah while shielding her with my body from harm.

"Don't worry! I won't harm her! Though I guess I can't expect you guys to trust me so easily." He runs a hand through his straight blond hair as he looks down in thought. My instincts go on high alert, but when he looks up again he smiles once again and I can see that the smile reaches his blue eyes.

"Well, guess I've got my work cut out for me! Alright, we're changing course!"Devon declares as he presses his knees against the barrel of his horse and turns to the left.