Chapter 48 ~ Violet

I wake up feeling sluggish. Well, 'wake up' is not exactly how I would put it. More like opened my eyes as if I was just resting them for a minute. The result was quite a feat, I could feel it already; Grittiness and bags under my eyes were what awaited me. Checking the mirror was not necessary. Groaning, I brought a hand up to my forehead as I slowly sat up in bed. Thankfully, the migraine had yet to come.

All night I had been tossing and turning in bed, thoughts running through my head. My mind was whirring a mile a minute, as though it were a computer processing a bunch of commands. Each thought was a different topic, increasing my level of worry one by one. From thinking about what was going on with Cassy, to Evelyn's condition, our mission, the trouble coming that Flare was talking about and, as much as I hated to admit it, Mule was on the list too. It seems that the thoughts I had been trying to keep at bay during the day, came alive as beasts at night.

Sighing, I slowly push the sheets back and climb out of bed, making the bed behind me. Adalena had been nice enough to let me use the bed in the guest room, while the boys slept on mattresses she laid out for them in the living room. I honestly would not have minded sharing the room with the boys, but in Adalena's view, it just was not right for girls and boys to sleep in the same room. Choosing to respect her view, none of us objected and slept separately, girls and boys apart.

Yawning, I grab my clothes that Adalena washed for me as well as my things for washing every morning then head for the bathroom. Once I have showered, I put on my clothes, brush my teeth and do the normal morning routine. Grabbing my pjs, I pack them into my pack once more. It did not feel right to unpack anything since we might need to leave at any second. I run my comb through my hair and tie it back into a ponytail, before placing that back into my pack as well. Checking myself in the mirror, I could see the large bags under my eyes that no amount of makeup would cover up. As I sigh once again, I apply my usual amount and just hope that everyone will be too worried about Ev to notice. Taking a deep breath, I grasp onto the doorknob and open the door, finding myself face-to-face with Sam when I do.

"Dang it, Mule! You gave me a heart attack!" I exclaim in surprise, as I place my hand against my chest and take calming breaths to slow my heart beat.

Apparently, seeing me in fright must have been a hilarious sight as Mule chuckles. "Whoops! Sorry about that. I was going to knock, but you opened the door before I could!" He defends, as he throws his hands up up in surrender.

The way he says it makes it seem as though it were my fault. How in the world was I supposed to know that he was going to come knocking on my door first thing in the morning?

"But how was I supposed to know that?" I respond, crossing my arms over my chest and raising one of my eyebrows in question.

He seems to falter for a second, as though he were just realizing it himself. "You have made a good point."

I shake my head as I roll my eyes. "You are such a dork."

Mule mock bows at my remark. "Why, thank you. I try."

Giggles escape my lips against my will and I immediately suppress them. The smirk on Mule's face tells me that it was a failed attempt and that I was heard. Walking by him indifferently, I lightly push him out the way. "C'mon let's get some breakfast."

"Wait." His hand grasps onto my wrist, stopping me in my tracks before he comes and stands before me. He eyes my face suspiciously and my heart speeds up in my chest. Please don't notice, please don't notice, please don't notice!

"What? Is there something on my face?" I ask casually, trying to keep my voice level. Everyone is already worried about Ev and it does little to help that I was not eating much yesterday. It would only make things worse if they began to worry about me too. Besides, this is not the first time in my life that I missed out on a night of sleep.