Chapter 6

I sigh as I walk out the front door and onto the sidewalk. The sun has just started to set, and I look up catching sight of a beautiful red-yellow hue of a sunset right in front of my eyes. I stand there for a while, staring at the first normal thing I've encountered all day, taking a deep breath and letting my shoulders relax. I then turn and start walking down the sidewalk, kicking rocks as I go, yes I'm still a kid, and replay all that has happened today in my mind, turn over the pieces that are hard to swallow.

Well, first I'm part of The Unwanted, that alone is enough to cause a major migraine, and my parents knew, but never told me. Not to mention that my brother is also a biblood just like me. This, of course, brings up another question. Just when do my abilities fully develop, and how much vampire power will I have exactly? I came out here to take a walk in order to clear my head, but the more I think, the more questions I get!

A sharp wind blows, ruffling my clothes and hair all around me. I still can't believe that any of this is real. I mean, last night I went to bed and everything was normal, but this morning I woke up in Crazy Town. Man, I really need to control my anger better. Speaking of my anger, I need to apologize to the one who was on the receiving end of it, Ed, and talk to him about everything. My parents told me that Ed was sleeping over at a friends house tonight, so I guess I'll take this chance to get a good night sleep and talk with him tomorrow.

I've also got to talk to Andy, who I'm not sure if he's a good guy. For now, I guess I'll take Katie's advice and try to be friends with the guy. Oh man, I'm taking Katie's advice now I know for sure that I'm tired. I decided that just in time as the sun has now fully set and it's gotten pretty dark outside.

That's when my eyes begin to burn. It starts off as a dull pain, but then it grows in intensity until it feels as if my eyes are soaking in lava.
I crouch down, covering my eyes with the palms of my hands and moaning hoping that the pain will stop. Eventually, after what feels like years, it does, but when I stand and take my hands off my eyes I get a surprise.

"Owww! Man that hurt so much! Wow, what the heck?!" I look around me at the street that was pitch black just a second ago, so dark that I could barely see my hands in front of me by using the street lights, but know I can see everything clearly. It's as if it's bright daylight outside, except that's not the only thing. I can see with way more detail than I could before, just looking at the tree across the street and I can see every line in the bark as if it were right in front of my face.

Could this be another skill being awakened? Is it from my high temper earlier? I would call this night vision, but it doesn't seem like simple night vision to me. I wonder if I can see with this much detail in the morning too? I guess I'll have to find out tomorrow on my way to school. But, dang, if it turns out that I can then I can say goodbye to binoculars.

Anyway I should really head back. I check the time displayed on my phone to see that it's already 8:00. Okay, I defined missed dinner, but after a day like today I don't think I could have eaten that much anyway. I guess I'll sneak a granola bar or something on my way to my room. I hope my parents aren't worried about me. I didn't mean to take a three hour walk, but I guess I must have been deep in thought.
I turn around, and just as I think about my home I get a huge migraine.

"Oh, come on! What is it this time?!" I rub at my temples irritated. That's when directions start rolling in through my mind and I can see them as if they're displayed in a screen in front of me. So, I've unlocked a navigation skill? As soon as I think that, I can see that it's no simple navigation skill at all. When I squint in concentration, stats start popping up of weather danger, distances from import places, nearby threats, and I can zoom in and out of a map of the area.

Okay, so I just have to think of going somewhere, and this ability kicks in? I mean it makes more sense then my improved eyesight, but I'm not complaining. All these new skills are cool and all, but do they really have to hurt so much when they develop? I rub one hand across my face in exhaustion and sigh. I definitely need to have a talk with Andy tomorrow. I bet he could shed a light on all of this. I turn around and start making my way home starting off with my usual path, but my skill shows me a different path that I take and it gets me home in half the time.

Huh. Maybe being a part of  The Unwanted isn't as bad as it seems.

...

I make my way to school with no incident this morning, but I make sure to tell my brother that I want to have a talk with him after school. I make my way to my locker early for one, and as soon as the door is open, my best friend comes flying out of nowhere.

"Cas! You never told me that you and Andy have ALL four classes together!" Katie spits out in a rush as soon as she's within earshot. I give her a look telling her to keep at down, as I glance at the people around us. Katie, however, just keeps blundering on, well at least she lowered her voice a little.

"So?" She asks and I roll my eyes at my best friend for the -I've lost count of how many-times. "So, what? Katie they're just classes! Yes he may sit next to me in every single one of them, but still!" That's when I realize what I said, and I bite my lip. Crap, me and my big mouth!

"Ooo, So there's hope!" Katie's eyes have grown wide, and I swear she looks as if she could start jumping up and down like a puppy in excitement at any moment. That's when the Andy in question walks by, and I see my chance to flee this conversation. I needed to talk with the guy anyway, so it's best if I get this over with.

Katie follows my gaze, and seeing Andy she smirks. Katie opens her mouth about to say something, probably another "ooooh", but before she can I interrupt her, irritated.

"Katie, I may have drank coffee, but anymore of this and I won't have any left for my classes. I love you, but sometimes I wish I had a mute button for you," my best friend sticks her tongue out at me, but I can't even call her a kid for it because, let's face it, I would have done the same thing. Best friends, am I right? I shake my head, smiling at my best friend, who smiles back at me. I turn around and start walking over to Andy.

Urgh. I can't believe I'm doing this again. But, that's when Katie's words from the caf the other day pop in my head. She said that I should be nice to the guy and she may be right. Oh man, that's twice I've thought of her advice, I might actually be getting sick. Anyway, just relax Cas you've got this! He's just a guy and you talked to him yesterday! Yes, he may have been annoying, but you still talked to him, so just act natural and friendly!

I walk over and tap him on his back to get his attention, realizing that I need to stand on my toes to do so. Huh, so hey must be 6'1 at least.
Wait, I never noticed yesterday, but he dresses pretty casually. He's dressed in a white collared shirt and jeans, with Nike sneakers. I noticed his blue eyes yesterday, but I did pay attention to his hair, which is short, straight and the same colour brown as my own hair.

"Hey, Wickleberry!" I tell him and the moment those words leave my mouth, I grown inwardly. Andy turns around with a surprised expression, that then gets replaced with his sarcastic smile.

"Hey, Cas what did you just call me?"

Oh man, can I dig a whole to crawl into please?