Chapter 39

Argh. God dang it that hurt!

Rubbing the back of my head, I blink hard to try and get my bearings. Yet, as many times as I blink my vision refuses to become steady.

C'mon! Get a hold of yourself! I reprimand myself, as I try to stabilize my vision with Ethan drawing nearer by the second.

You okay? Andy's thought presence enters my mind and I can tell that he's worried. Though he may be worried, I can also sense his confidence in me to be able to do this on my own.

Yeah more or less. I might have a slight concussion though. God, I never thought I would be medically examining myself. I send out my thoughts in response as I grit my teeth and try to stand.

Haha, yeah it's the reward of having powers. His answer to my annoyance has me groaning in irritation.

Reward? More like curse.

You know, many people would love the opportunity to have powers.

Yeah, yeah whatever.

Well aren't you enthusiastic.

Well excuse me if I can't be enthusiastic when I might have a concussion!

Easy! How about trying to heal yourself?

I would if they're weren't a psycho intent on spending 'quality time' with me coming closer to try and kill me!

Cas-

I'm going to fly and buy some time!

Wait Cas-

I force Andy's thought presence out of my head as I try to stand. Shaking on unstable feet, I barely manage to keep my feet planted. Concentrating, I open myself to my blood and begin to let my fairy blood powers loose.

"Oh? I knew it would take more than that to keep my li'l sis down!" Ethan says in a giddy tone as he stands a couple inches before me as psychotic as ever.

"I told you not to underestimate me!" I challenge, hoping to be able to distract him enough in order to be able to set off into the sky.

He laughs, but the laugh sends chills down my spine. It was not a normal laugh, his laugh is chilling. There is no warmth or joy in it that usually accompanies a laugh. "I can see that."

"Yeah? Well I've still got some more tricks up my sleeve!" I bluff as I try to keep him distracted.

"Oh really? That's interesting. I can't wait to see if those tricks follow our... mother or our father!" Once again he says 'our' and by bringing up them up again, it only fuels my desire to win even more. Losing is not an option if I want my answers.

Here we go.

In a split second I unleash light in Ethan's face, blinding him, and take off into the sky before he can recover. Using my wind ability, I use the time I bought in order to heal as much of my wounds as I can. However, once I get a look at my wounds I find that healing them may not be as easy as I thought.

Oh no. That's not good! My worried thoughts are picked up by Andy as he immediately responds in alarm.

Cas? What's wrong?

Andy, these wounds are beyond my ability at the moment!

What do you mean?! The worry in his voice has risen and I find myself holding my breath as I tell him the bad news.

When Sky taught me how to heal, she only taught me the basics. You know; scrapes, cuts, bruises. But, it turns out that the hit I took did more damage than I thought.