Chapter 42 ~ Violet

"Vile, this doesn't look too good!" Mule says as he keeps glancing behind him worriedly. The sound of hove beats that are not our own still echoes behind us. We have tried every method we could think of, but we still have not managed to shake our pursuers.

"Yeah, I can see that!" I bite back, irritated as I rack my brain for a way out of this. Lea is holding onto me tight and I can feel her thin frame shaking against me. Think Violet! Think! There's got to be a way out of this!

"Hey Dilan! How many are we dealing with exactly?" I call out to him and he glances back to do a quick count.

"There's ten at least! Maybe a few more!" He replies, his voice rising in pitch the only indicator of how worried he is. Okay, fighting is definitely not an option! I knew that would not be possible due to Lea, but I thought if there were only a few of them we could take them out with a quick attack. That way Lea would be free from harm, but that was now out of the question.

"Hey Vile! Think you could trip a few of 'em with your vines?" Mule calls out to me to ask and I take a second to think over his suggestion.

"Yeah, but it really will only be a few!" I answer given the fact that I had still to regain much energy from saving Lea earlier. Add that to the fact that I was still at the basics of my powers, we all were, meaning that my control was not the greatest.

"Mule, bring your horse closer!" I order him and he looks at me, confused.

"Why?" In answer, I motion to Lea who was still clinging onto my back tightly. Seeing what I meant, his eyes widen and he shakes his head repeatedly.

"Vile, no." He refuses before I even have the chance to ask.

"Mule, c'mon! It'll just take a second!"

"No." He denies again and I roll my eyes at him.

"It's just so I can take a couple of them out!" Still he does not back down. Lea, aware of our conversation, peeks her head around my back to stare at Mule and I.

"What's going on? Are you guys fighting? That's not good!" She says with wide eyes, and I pat her head while I stare at Mule in a 'Look what you did' look.

"What? What did I do?!" He says, completely lost.

"Violet, does Mule hate me?" Lea asks and I give Mule another look before I answer her.

"No! Of course not, Lea! In fact, Mule was just saying how he was going to watch you for a bit while I take care of some of the bad guys!" At my words Lea beams, while Mule's eyes widen further as he pales.

"Yay! I get to ride with Mule!" I am unable to hold back my laughter as his expression grows worse by the second.

"Why can't Dil or Ev watch her?" Mule complains and before I can answer, Lea beats me to it.

"I knew it. You hate me Mule." Lea pouts sadly, leaving Mule at a loss for words as he makes eye contact with me. I mouth 'Look at that face' teasingly at him and he sighs as he racks a hand through his hair, causing it to stick up from dirt and sweat. When this is over, we're all going to wash up. I think to myself, but Mule's sigh breaks me out of my thoughts.

"Fine. I'll do it." Mule pouts and I reach over to give him a pat on his shoulder.

"Thanks for taking one for the team, Mule." I look at him with mock sincerity and he groans.

"Are you taking pity on me, Vile?" He complains and I am unable to hold back the laugh that escapes my mouth.

"Well-"