Chapter 52 ~ Violet

Mule and I rush back Lea's place, determined to save her. We run as fast as our legs can carry us, crashing through branches and trampling over bushes. Their house comes into view a few moments later and we hasten our pace, running inside with the door slamming behind us from our rush. Hearing the noise, Adalena walks out of the kitchen still wearing her apron.

"Samuel, Violet, what is going on? Were you two not out on a walk?" She takes in our appearance, our wild hair and sweat covering our faces from rushing over, and raises her eyebrows in worry.

"Adelena! It's...an emergency!" Sam begins in panic, while he bends over to catch his breath, mirroring my actions.

"You...have...you have to evacuate everyone! Hurry!" I finish for Mule, wiping the sweat and hair out of my eyes.

"What? What's goon going on?" Adalena questions in worry as she looks from Mule to me and back.

At this point we've both managed to catch our breaths and yell in usion, "There's no time to explain!"

Adalena raises a brow, her confusion rising. "Now, calm down both of you-"

"Adalena, Lea's life is in danger! You have to hurry! They'll kill everyone to get to her!"

"Now hold on-" Adalena begins as she tries to reason with us, but Mule interrupts her.

"Adalena, please!" The desperation in Mule's voice causes her to take a step back and take in our faces. Mule's desperation is on his face as well as my own. Her eyes widen a fraction, before she nods her head and finally does what we ask.

"We gotta find Dilan!" I tell Mule in a panic, but just as we turn to run out the back door he's there.

"No need I'm right here! I heard Adalena shouting about some trouble and an evacuation. What's going on?" He asks as he shifts Evelyn in his arms.

Mule and I take a deep, calming breath before we explain everything.

"Woah, wait. They're coming after Lea?! What kind of plan is this and a war?! Are you serious?!"

"Unfortunately yes. That's why we need to hurry out of here! The way they were talking, not to mention their auras, I have no doubt that they'll kill everyone here if it means leaving with her!"

"Alright, if the three of us-" Before he can continue, I cut off his words shaking my head.

"No Dilan, you need to go after Adalena and the others. There's no way you can fight while trying to protect Ev. You'll be too concerned about her safety to properly hold them back." I state, feeling guilty as I know how much he wants to help.

"Besides, Adalena and the others could use the protection in case the worst case happens and they break past us. They'll need your strength." Sam adds in order to distill the harshness of my words and I give him a nod of gratitude.

"But last time it took all four of us to fend them off and they weren't even using their full powers yet! Besides, Devon already went with them!" Images of memory flash forward of when I tried to be hero and save Lea the first time we met. Suffice to say it didn't go as planned and I would be dead if they didn't chase after me. Knowing this, I still won't allow Dilan to put himself, Ev, or the rest of us in danger.

"Don't worry! We'll be fine! All we have to do is hold them back long enough for Adalena, Lea and the others to reach their second safe house! Remember when we first arrived? Lea told us about it right before we went to bed. She said it wasn't far from here. Besides, I don't think they trust Devon enough yet and he may have some trouble trying to keep them safe."

Dilan thinks about what I've said before giving a reluctant nod. "Alright, but I still don't like this. I'll make sure Lea, her mother, and the others get to their second safe base in one piece, but if we get there and you guys don't show up after thirty minutes, I'm dropping Evelyn with them and coming back for you!"