Chapter 53

My body felt numb. It felt like I was moving in slow motion. I knew I had to keep going, I needed to escape Ethan's clutches. However, the more I kept going the more I felt like it was pointless. Though a part of me knew there was a purpose. I had to get back to The Compound, to everyone; Flare, Sky, Trace, Rash, Vi, Dilan and Sam. They needed to know about the war. They needed to know what Ethan had up his sleeve. We need to come up with a plan to stop him, or he'd turn everyone-bibloods and humans alike-into fullbloods. I knew regardless of what was going on with Andy, we had to save everyone.

Andy.

Just the thought of him and his last words to me sends ice through my veins. My mind shortens and all I can think is: why?

Why would he say those things?

Why was he acting like that?

It wasn't the Andy I had come to know and all I could think of was that Ethan had said or done something. There was no way that Andy would start to act like that on his own.

Or maybe he simply opened his eyes to how he truly feels.

It was that voice. It was back, but it wasn't being helpful this time. It was almost as if it was reading into my feelings. My inner doubts. But, how could it possibly know?

I know many things. Maybe it would be for the best if you let that boy g-

SHUT UP!! YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! NEITHER DO I! SO DON'T EVEN BEGIN TO SAY THAT YOU KNOW OR UNDERSTAND! Because you don't. Neither of us do.

That was what scared me the most. After all, it was true. I didn't know or understand anything. Heck, I barely knew or understood anything about myself, let alone Andy. It had only been a month since I awakened my powers, met everyone, and went on this mission with Andy. Was a month really enough to understand someone? I looked down to the mark that Andy and I shared, the one that showed how connected we were and I had my answer.

Yes.

That was the answer my gut gave me. It didn't matter how long it had been, what mattered were the memories we shared. Those themselves were enough to convince me that I did know him and that no matter what happened, I was coming back for him. He wasn't going to be able to toss us all away that easy.

"Cassandra." I was brought out of my thoughts by Dr. Healmer's voice. I could see it in her eyes and hear it in her voice. She hated to see me like this. Regretted that she couldn't do more to help, when in fact she had already done enough. Shaking my head, I pulled myself together and forced a smile on my face.

"I'm alright, Doctor. Honest. I'm just going to focus on getting out of here for now." I say, smiling weakly. She smiles softly down at me, before ruffling my hair. "That's the spirit!"

Scowling, I immediately try and fix my ruffled hair, but find that most if it has fallen out of it's bun and give up on the attempt. More explosions rocket into the silence, tossing us onto the tiled floors of the building once again. "There's not much time, we have to hurry." Dr. Healmer grunts, as she gestures for me to pick up the pace and follow her lead.

I was expecting her to lead me straight to the exit, but instead I find myself face-to-face to where Andy and I stayed previously. On the night that Dr. Healmer healed our wounds. When he was still acting like the Andy we knew.

Stop it.

"Why are we here, Doctor?" I look back at her, confused. Smiling, she opens the door and gestures for me to enter quickly. She enters behind me, shutting the door and I hear the sounds of what must be Ethan's henchman running past.