Chapter 40 ~ Violet

"You okay?" I ask the young girl as I bend down to peer at her face. She appears to be about half my height with curly blond hair up to her chin. Her hair is damp with dirt and sweat, her skin is pale and she appears to have barely been fed for about two days.

Despite all this she looks up at me with determination in her eyes. "Yes. They didn't hurt me. Just didn't give me any food or water." The poor girl has grown as thin as a twig and her body is shaking. Those monsters! I really hope that my friends are giving them a taste of their own medicine!

The child must have felt a change in my demeanour from the rage flowing through me as she clings onto me. She squeezes me into a tight hug and I mentally slap myself for scaring her any further. Stupid! Now's not the time to wish death upon them! Especially with a child present!

Squeezing her back immediately, I comfortingly rub her back to soother her. "Hey, it's all right! Don't worry! No one can harm you now!" I soothingly reassure her as I feel what must be tears of relief fall onto my chest. The poor girl is crying. She must have been worried sick.

Pushing away lightly, I crouch down in front of her again with a smile on my face. "Can you tell me your name?" I ask her this question in an attempt to distract her.

"Lea." She tells me and I smile.

"Nice to meet you, Lea! My name is Violet." When she hears my name, she looks at me in surprise.

"Violet? Like the flower?" She questions and I nod my head as I turn on my ability to give her a surprise.

"Yep! Wanna see something cool?" She nods her head energetically and I laugh. Holding out my hand with my palm facing the sky, I make a violet flower sprout through the palm of my hand.

"Woah! That's so beautiful!" A smile has spread across her face and it fills my heart with warmth to know that I helped her feel better. Even if only for a little while.

"Here, I'll put it in your hair!" Lea tilts her head to the side and I braid in the flower in her hair.

"Perfect! You look great!" She pats the braid then looks up at me with a bright smile on her face.

"Thank you!" Returning her smile, I pat her head gently.

"No problem!" Suddenly we hear footsteps behind us and we start in shock. It's okay. It's probably just Ev, Mule and Dilan. Just to make sure, I push a frightened Lea behind me as I peer out in front of us.

"Guys?" A moment of silence passes and just when my heart beat starts to pick up, they appear.

"Yo Vile! We're back! Wait, what's got you on edge?" Mule asks taking in our frightened appearance.

"Nothing! At least not anymore, right Lea?" She makes eye contact with me and we somehow come to an agreement as she smiles at my friends.

"Yep! There's no problem!" Smart girl! Mule looks from Lea to me and back, raising an eyebrow before shrugging it off.

"Well, whatever. Here," He throws down the three in charge of kidnapping Lea at my feet and Lea cries out, hiding behind me. "The mission said to subdue them, so here they are! Don't worry, we gave them a piece of their own medicine for what they did!"