Chapter 50 ~ Violet

"So, wanna tell me what's up?" Sam asks, breaking the so far silence of our walk together.

"Not again. I already told you, it's nothing. I just didn't sleep properly." I forcibly deny his concern, refusing to look him in the eye.

"Oh no, you're not avoiding this." Grabbing my arms, he pulls me to a stop, and we stand facing each other. I continue to avoid eye contact, until he tilts my chin forcing me to meet his eyes. His light blue eyes meet my hazel ones, beckoning me to tell the truth. His hypnotic gaze pulls me in and I find myself unable to object.

"Vi, we're a team remember? No-this isn't about the team, this is about our friendship. You don't need to hide anything from me, we're too close for that. I may annoy you, but that's because I care about you. Besides you're the only one who understands my humour." His last sentence earns a snort from me. "Yeah, yeah say what you want. So, what do you say? Care to let me in?"

His speech leaves me at a loss for words and all I can do is blink at him. To think that the Mule I know could be this serious and care this much. The fact that he actually called me by Vi instead of Vile has my walls start cracking. It was never my intention to make him think that I don't value him as a friend, a partner. It was the opposite actually. The amount of value I place in him as a friend is what has me wanting to save him from worry. However, it seems that Mule was thinking the opposite way that I was.

"Doesn't seem like you're giving me much of a choice." I smile wryly and he flashes me a full smile.

"Oh, I'm giving you a choice. The choice is either yes or yes, it's up to you to decide." He gives me a cheeky grin and I flick him in the forehead. He yelps in pain, rubbing his forehead.

"You're such a dork! But, you're right. We're a team, and team members don't keep secrets. I'll tell you." Sighing, I prepare myself to unleash everything onto him. "To put it simply, I'm worried Sam. Worried about everything. From the sound of things, something big is going to happen and I'm worried that not all of us will come out unscathed. Heck, some of us might even die! it doesn't help that Cas is somewhere out there with Andy and who knows what sort of danger the two of them might be facing? What if one of them is dead and we don't know because we can't contact them? I just, I just don't know what to do."

Mule is quiet as he takes in my speech, but after a while he looks at me in the eye and it's not worry that's there. It's understanding.

"You're not alone, Vi. I feel the same way and I'm pretty sure Dilan does too. It's probably the reason he's been obsessing with the need to remain by Ev's side. This is exactly why I said we should rely on each other. Instead all we've been doing is pushing ourselves to exhaustion. As of this moment, it's going to stop. We're going to support each other, no matter what."

I'm taken aback from his speech and find myself blinking in surprise.

"Sorry, did I go overboard?" Mule smiles sheepishly, rubbing his neck awkwardly. My eyes must be playing tricks on me as I see a faint blush on his cheeks. 

"No, no you didn't. Thanks, Mule." I tease him and I see him visibly relax as he smiles back at me and nudges me in the side.

"Anytime, Vile." We smile at each other before deciding to continue walking side by side. After a few moments of silence between us, Mule speaks up.

"Hey, I probably should've asked before, but why are we walking in a forest?"

"What, you scared?" I tease him, smirking.

"No, but nothing ever goes right in stories or movies when two people walk alone in the forest." Rolling my eyes, I shake my head.

"Mule, that's all fiction. Besides, this forest is right behind Adalena's house and it's bright daylight outside! What could possibly go wrong?" Mule gasps before his eyes widen into saucers.