Chapter 15

"Alright, it's time for the first test to begin!" Andy's loud voice echoes as he once again takes over the instructions.

"For this test in order for you to win you have three options; one-knock your opponent unconscious," After hearing this, the bibloods around me start to murmur to one another, but Andy doesn't pause and instead raises his voice over them. "Two! Since you are not allowed killing anyone here, you have to make your opponent hang off the edge with their fingertips. However! After three seconds, you must pull them back up to prevent them from falling."

Everyone has gone silent again and Andy smiles as he states the final rule. "The last rule is...wait for it...that one of you surrenders!" Andy looks around hoping for something-I don't know what exactly-,but is met with a blank stare in every direction. "Man, you guys are hopeless." He runs a hand through his hair, depressed.

We're hopeless? I think you need to take a look in the mirror, Wickleberry.

"Alright, I think it's about time we got these tests started already." I swear he looks like a pouting puppy! He really does irritate me. Pushing all thoughts of Andy aside, I focus my attention on the spar that awaits me.

"Oh, one more thing! If you're hurt during your spar, then make your way over to Sky and she'll heal you!" He points over to Sky, who has set up a first aid station.

"Now then, Cassandra and Samuel, you're up!" I make my to the cloud fighting ring, my heart beating against my chest. Though, wether it's from nervousness, apprehension, or a mix of both I have no idea. Relax, Cas. I tell myself as I fous on my breathing.

That's when Samuel joins me and I focus on analyzing him to distract myself. He has short, black, straight hair that falls into his eyes, which are a light blue in colour. His skin is white in colour and with the pale that comes with the vampire blood power, he looks like a ghost. As he stands before me, I can instantly tell that we're the same height. Ok, at least I won't be at a disadvantage there.

That's when our eyes meet and then I see it. He feels the same way I do. There's not a hint of hatred in his eyes, only kindness as he holds out a hand to me. "Let's have a fair fight!" I'm taken aback at first, but then I reach out my hand to meet his. "No objections here!"

I step back and as I do, I hear Andy shout "Begin!".

That's when my senses go on hyper alert and I wait for Samuel to show his ability. When I finally realize that he has, it's too late, and I'm rooted in place. He can control my nerves.

I try with all my might to make my body move, but to no avail. That's when I feel it. Using psychokinesis, I just barely avoid the block of cement that was heading straight for my head. That would have knocked me out for sure. We can't have this end early.

So, we have a cement user who can control nerves. That's a pretty deadly combination.

The cement blocks keep on coming, and it's all to can do to deflect them away from me. If I send them back to him, we'd be playing catch.

He may control my nerves, but my abilities run through my veins and I can still control them. I'm going to have to fight while standing still.

First things first, let's get some distance between us. I feel for the wind energy inside my body, which I fling at Samuel and send him flying to the other end of the ring. Alright, I think I have a plan.

Once again, I gather up the wind energy, but instead of using it alone this time, I combine it with psychokinesis. Then, I wait until Samuel's have covered the clouds at our feet and use the wood of the gym in the mean time to create a trap under him.

After a few minutes of dodging cement weapons and blocks, I decide that there is enough for me to use.

I take a deep breath, then focus on the energy inside me. Releasing one ability after another, I put my plan into action.

First comes the trap I created out of wood. Underneath Samuel, I preyed out a few planks, which I then broke in half and molded into a pack of vines. I bring these up and clamp them around his legs, which causes him to trip then fall. He looks up, shocked, and before he can retaliate, I unleash the second part of my plan.

Using my psychokinesis, I gather up all the cement creations around me. Adding wind to the mix causes a tornado to form, with the creations swirling inside. Setting the tornado free, I watch as it heads towards Samuel, who's grow rounder by the second at its approach. I can't let him die. While I think this, I let some of what Samuel has created hit him, but only enough to knock him out. Then, I put the brakes on the tornado, letting the creations fall as I stand there panting.

Something's not right. Then it hits me. I still can't move. He's still conscious.

Samuel staggers up, swaying from side to side. In the state he's in, it looks like he's barely hanging on. Then, he locks eyes with me and I can see it in his eyes. Once again they're reflecting what I'm feeling; excitement. Neither one of us is mad at the other. In fact, we're enjoying the challenge that we're bringing for each other. This enjoyment brings smiles to our faces.

This just means I'm going to have to try a little harder if I want to beat him.

I'm preparing to attack, when all of a sudden I'm running. What's going on? It feels like I'm fleeing a threat, but there's nothing chasing me.

He's controlling my nerves to make it seem like my brain sent a signal to run! Fight or flight! I'm coming face to face before the edge and at the last second I place wind at the soles of my feet. Soaring up and way from the edge, it takes everything I have to fight my nerves and stay aloft.

As fun as this has been, looks like I'm going to have to end it. Fast.

This time, I release all the wind I can muster, causing the gym to shake. I then point it in the direction of Samuel. Then, I bring up a wall of thick wood using the wooden planks of the gym. Once that's in place, I release the wind, causing it to slam into Samuel's body at full force. He goes flying and hits the back of his head into the wooden wall I created, his body going limp. Just to make sure, I bring up one of his cement creations with my psychokinesis and whack him on the head with it. Not too hard, obviously, since I don't want to kill the guy. I've come to respect him.

That's when I finally regain control of my body. Now, it's over. I collapse on the ground, panting, as I hear Andy's voice. "End of match! Winner; Cassandra!" I look up and make eye contact with him. He nods then secretly flashes me a wink, to which I roll my eyes at.

Looking around, I take in the expressions of my fellow Neophytes. Some of them are glaring daggers at me, but the rest are beaming. Those people start clapping and cheering for me, so loud that I have to cover my ears over the roaring of their voices. As I'm standing there, taking it all in, I can't stop the corners of my mouth turning up.

Maybe there's hope for me yet.

I use my abilities to replace the wood into the gym and clear away Samuels creations. Then I use my wind to lift Samuel and we both make it over to Sky's first aid centre. I'm sweating buckets as I collapse onto the floor. Sky comes over and hands me a bottle of water, which I down in seconds.

"Congrats, Cassidy! You were amazing out there!" She crushes me into a hug and I start as I notice the tears running down her face. "Sky?" I question her, worried that somethings wrong. "I'm so glad that your opponent was nice. I was worried that you would die!" Sky whispers this frantically in my ear and I feel my arms rise up to return her hug. Tears threaten to poor out of my own eyes.

"Oh Sky, I'm sorry I worried you. But, don't worry! If someone does try to kill me, I'll make them eat my dust! So, don't worry okay? I'll be fine!" I feel Sky sniff and wipe her eyes. She pulls back and I see the smile on her face as she laughs. "You'd better, or I'll fly in with one of my birds to kill you before they do!"

I hold up my hands, putting on a fake expression of terror. "Oh no! Anything, but that!" Then, we're both laughing so hard that tears of joy are falling out of our eyes in a never ending stream.

Let's hope that my team in the second test doesn't scause me to have to act on this promise.