Chapter 56

The three of you went back to your room to chill and visit. You sat on the edge of your bed, hinting for a moment.

"Hey William, I hope you don't mind me asking, but what was your dad like? What do you remember about him?" You asked curiously. William sighed, glancing at Alex. Alex grinned, looking up at his brother excitedly.

"Yesss!! Please tell, you never like to talk about it, but now she wants to know too! What was he like??" Alex asked, happily sitting down beside you. William swallowed, looking down, thinking a moment.

"Ah... it's a bit fuzzy in all honesty. He was... nice. ... he wasn't around much... and.. he drank quite a bit, but. He was nice. I got along well with him, he took me out every once and a while to talk and such, but.. I guess he just decided that after a few years, he just.. didn't want to be a dad anymore." William shrugged, your eyebrows drew together.

"Aw... I'm sorry, William.."

"Nah. No problem. It was a long time ago, and it's kind of nice to talk about it I guess. Can't do that with jim." William smiles halfheartedly, looking at the floor. Alex got up and just quietly hugged his brother. He wasn't sad, but he seemed incredibly empathetic towards others, and just wanted to help. You watched William, thinking for a moment.

".... so where do you think he is? Have you ever asked jim if he knew him-? He seems to have a lot of connections...." You state. William shook his head in response.

"... I think I might've asked once. Jim found out what my dad looked like, but didn't know where he was. Besides, I don't want to see him again. He left, so it doesn't matter. He's not a part of my life anymore." William said, ruffling Alex's hair lightly, before just kind of lifting him up and holding him so he didn't have to keep bending down to reassure the kid. You nodded slowly in response.

"Alright, that's fair enough I guess.." you smiled up at him. You loved learning about other people and how they were raised... it was so sad what these boys had been through of course, but.. William didn't have anyone to talk to. And it seemed like Alex didn't, either. You wanted them to be able to trust you, or talk to you if they needed...

William nodded, adjusting Alex in his arms. Alex had his arms around his brother in a tight hug, gosh diddly darn he was the cuddliest, neediest boy you think you've ever seen. Not a bad thing, of course. At all. It was wonderful, you loved how caring he was of other people..

... your phone buzzed in your pocket. You tensed a tiny bit and swallowed. William blinked, looking at you curiously.

".... you should probably get that— it might be jim-." He stated, sensing something was a bit off with you suddenly. You slowly nodded, before pulling out your phone. You felt William's eyes on you as you checked the text.

'Wrap it up, my dear~ we need to talk.'

You put your phone back in your pocket. William raised an eyebrow.

".... drop your phone—-?"

".... what?"

"... there's a crack on the screen that wasn't there before. I highly doubt it would've broke when we bumped into each other. What happened?" William asks. You tensed up again.

".... nothing. It's alright, it was just an accident."

"... y/n, I know you're lying."

Your phone buzzed again. You checked it.

'Tell him and the kid dies.' You tensed at the text. Dear lord what do you do now.