Chapter 99

Alex's POV:

Alex smiled up at his dad, reassuring him that he was okay, before quickly going inside, deciding he should talk to William. He's been really ignoring him lately, he should really try to talk to him more... William doesn't really have anyone here, especially since he tends to still be so stubborn about being nice to Harvey.

So, Alex slipped into Williams room, who had still been pacing, obviously lost in thought.

"William..?" Alex asks, sensing slight distress radiating off his older brother. William glanced down at him, calming down a bit but not fully. He smiled fakely, in attempt to seem okay. On anyone else, it mightve worked. Alex knew it was a lie though.

"Are you alright?" Alex asked, going up to his brother, trying to be as empathetic towards him as possible. William sighed and nodded, seeming to clue in Alex wasn't going to let this go.

"I'm fine, Alex. I'm just thinking."

"What are you thinking about?"

"Don't worry about it. Everything will be alright. I'm alright. I promise." William smiled again, this time it seemed a bit more truthful. Alex slowly nodded in response, watching as William sat on his bed, still partially lost in thought. Alex climbed up beside him, still wanting to help.

".... are you sad?"

"Not really, no."

"Mad..?" Alex asked, looking up at his older brother. William smiled, reaching down and ruffling the kid's hair.

"... bingo. Not so much anymore, I'm just working through some stuff right now."

"... did you and dad go see Jim?" Alex asked, looking at William understandingly. William seemed taken aback a moment, then nodded.

".... yes.....? How did you figure that out—?"

"After you see Jim you seem to think things through a lot more and become calmer and more reasonable." Alex shrugged a bit. William smiled, looking at the floor.

"..... I guess that's right. Jim has helped me in a way then, hasn't he?"

"Yeah, a lot. You'd probably be a lot meaner than you are now if jim wasn't the one who raised you."

"Hey I'm not mean!" William shoots back, playfully punching his brother in the shoulder. Alex laughed in response.

".... William, I like you a lot better as a brother than a parent." Alex said, and William paused for a moment, seeming to think it over. Then he smiled once again, looking down at Alex again.

".... me too, Alex. Me too." He responded. Alex smiled back, crawling into his brothers lap and giving him a hug. Alex was thankful to be on good terms with his brother... he was also glad that he made William feel at least a little happier. William needed a friend to make him happy almost more than Alex did. They both had y/n as a friend but... now they can't see you anymore. It was sad, but... maybe in time things would calm down. Maybe you'd even decide you wanted to leave Jim and come see them.... it was a long shot, but... who knows what the future held. Perhaps all of them would learn to get along, and all this drama would be over... Alex hoped to god that would be the case, anyways.

"Alex, you should go get something to eat. I'll be down in a minute." William stated, pulling out of the hug slightly. Alex scrunched up his nose and frowned.

"You're doing it agaiinnnnnn. Don't tell me what to doooo."

"I'm not! Its just... a suggestion! That I will enforce if you don't listen to!" William laughed, Alex smiled and hopped off his brother to stand by the door.

"Fine!! But I'm only doing because I said so!! No you!!! ..... and because I'm hungry." Alex grinned, William laughed again.

"Right- now out!" William ordered teasingly, Alex kept grinning.

"Fine, but make me tea when you come down!!! You can't say no, because I can't hear you anymore!! bye!!!" Alex laughed as he ran down the hall before his brother could protest.

"Oi!! Not your housekeeper!!" William shot back although his brother was already out of hearing range.