Chapter 65

You had trouble sleeping that night, once again. Part of you wanted to cry, the other part of you seriously wanted to hurt someone... you stayed awake a lot of the night, before eventually getting up and wandering around the building. To your surprise, you found Alex sitting in a corner by himself, using his phone as a flashlight to read his new book. It was early early morning, he shouldn't be up yet...

"Alex...?" You ask, causing him to jump in surprise.

"Oh——!!" He states, turning a bit red and seeming to try to come up with some excuse as to why he was out there. You just sighed, sitting beside him.

".... why are you awake? Tell the truth, please." You said, looking at him seriously. He looked at you a moment silently, then looked down again.

".... I don't like sleeping."

"Alex, you have to sleep."

"If I sleep, I might hurt someone..." his eyes went all teary, immediately your full attention was on him.

"... what do you mean?"

".... the other side.... my other side... he gives me nightmares... and if he doesn't, and I'm in a deep enough sleep, William told me sometimes he takes over..." Alex says quietly, sadly. You pulled the small boy into your arms tightly, any feeling of hatred and anger residing in you from before immediately washed away, replaced by sadness and empathy for the small boy.

"I'm so sorry, Alex...." you whisper to him softly, holding him close. He was silent. You swallowed, thinking a moment.

".... Alex..... I wasn't going to tell you until I told William first, but... you have every right to know as much as he does. .... but you have to promise to keep it a secret for now, okay..?" You ask, looking down at the small boy. He looked up at you and nodded quietly, his eyes still teary.

".... I think I might know how to find your dad.... I've also heard that he's very nice now, and he regrets leaving...." you said in a quiet voice, Alex's big blue eyes widened as he looked up at you.

"...... dad......??" He asked, his voice a hopeful whisper. You nodded in response, smiling softly.

"Yes... and I think.... I think he wants to see you..." you smiled. Okay, maybe it wasn't the best idea to do this, jim probably had some sort of reason to keep them apart for so long. ... but then again, he also could have kept them apart to make them better, more cold and heartless workers. ... but something still felt off for some reason. Jim better not try to hurt Alex because you introduced him to his dad....

Alex slowly started to smile, his eyes gleaming with hope and excitement. He's never had a dad before... only a mom, and a brother that hopelessly tried to act as both the mom and the dad to Alex, ahah. ..... William's a mom. Hah.

"... you can't tell anyone about this yet, okay Alex? For now, until I can talk to your brother, it'll be our little secret.." you smiled, bopping his nose happily. He nodded in response, hugging you tighter, although now he seemed a lot more happy than sad. You were glad that you could at least be some help to the small kid.. he needed someone to be his friend. 

Soon enough, after talking with Alex for a while, allowing him to explain his book to you, the building started to come alive again. It didn't take long for William to find you two. 

"Y/n, you're up early." William greeted, seeming a bit surprised you were already awake  you smiled and nodded. 

"Yeah, couldn't sleep. ... William, I actually have something I need to tell you." 

"Y/n, you better not be trying to proclaim your love to me." 

"Hah!!! Yeah right, you wish, Gay boi!!" You grinned teasingly, William just rolled his eyes and smiled a little. .... wow. You could see quite a few similarities between William and Harvey. Not so much Alex, Alex must take more after his mum... 

"Anyways William, come with me. You too, Alex. Let's go talk somewhere more private.." You state, and you all go into your room to hide out. From there, you go to explain to William the same thing that you had Alex. You tell him his dad's alive, doing well, and wanted to see them. To your surprise, William's eyes actually darkened slightly. 

".... no." He stated. You stared at him, confused. 

"....... no—? You don't want to see your dad—? Why?" You ask, confused. William glared at you in response, shaking his head. 

"First off, because it likely isn't him. It's probably some imposter that jim sent or something ridiculous. Second, I've lived my whole life without my dad. I don't need him anymore, and I don't want him. Just because hes trying to come crawling back into my life, doesn't mean I'll let him." William said in a stern voice. Your eyebrows drew together, in both sympathy and concern for him. He was evidently a lot more hurt about his dad leaving than you thought. 

"... alright William, I won't make you do anything... but Alex wants to see him. Which means they might start getting close to each other, so he's going to be in your life whether you like it or not.. just because you don't need him doesn't mean Alex doesn't. Will you at least come see him with us? Just this once? It's kind of a huge deal for Alex.." you say in a soft voice, Alex watches William hopefully, knowing you had an amazing way of persuading others. William was  silent a moment, seeming to consider it. After a long pause, he finally sighed, and nodded. 

".... fine. But don't expect me to like it."