Chapter 89

After a few minutes of hugging Alex, you slowly pulled away from the small boy.

"Are you okay...?" You ask, carefully drying his eyes. He nodded quietly in response, but still seemed sad and scared and upset.

"Alright... do you want to talk about what happened...?" You asked, wanting to know more information. Alex shook his head and you sighed, nodding slowly. You didn't want to push him, especially not after he had been so unstable.

"Okay. Just know you can talk to me, okay? About anything you want." You kissed his forehead then stood up, helping him up as well. He was quiet and calm now, although he seemed deep in thought as if trying to figure something out. Every once and a while though you could see him twitch and cringe slightly, as if a thought crossed his mind that he knew was dangerous, so he quickly dismissed it. You held his hand as you walked back to where you left William, who was now on the phone, pacing back and forth.

"What do you mean he's freaking you out?! What's he doing???" William asked, running a hand through his hair. You drew your eyebrows together, holding Alex's hand tightly as you listened in to Williams responses to the person on the phone.

"Alright.... okay don't worry, we'll be right there. Just.. hang in there, Harvey." William said, before quickly hanging up and looking over at you. Before you could ask what was going on, William was already explaining.

"Harvey said jim was acting really strange, he thinks being around all the stress of Alex's split personality is triggering the same thing in jim. Apparently he's losing it." William said, quickly heading off in the direction of Jim's building. You swallowed nervously, this wasn't good.

"Alright... Alex, when we get there I'm going to drop you off in my room, okay? I have lots of snacks and books in there, feel free to help yourself to whatever. I have jim's phone and you have yours, call me if anything happens." You said, following along behind William with Alex. If Alex's other side triggered a split personality in jim, you didn't want them both to feed off each other. That's more danger than you could handle. Alex nodded slowly in response, seeming too tired to be able to help much anyways.

You quickly headed home, dropping Alex off in your room before following William to Jim's office. As you made your way down the hall however, the lights flickered out. You gasped, trying to adjust your eyes to the darkness.

"William—" you immediately felt uneasy, the dark always made you jumpy and uncomfortable. Especially so in this building, with an apparent unstable jim. William seemed to recognize your frantic tone, so he stopped and took your arm.

"It's alright. Let's just find Harvey and jim." He stated, and you breathed out, happy William could take the time to be a gentleman when you needed one. He was a good friend, you'd have to thank him later.

You headed down the pitch-black corridor, both of you having one hand on the wall to feel your way along, until William came to a stop once again.

"William-? What is it?" You whispered questioningly, as he responded with a shush. You drew your eyebrows together, looking around in confusion. You still couldn't see a thing, but you could feel the tension rising, as if something very bad were about to happen. The building practically shook when, without warning, hidden speakers boomed to life with a deep voice.

"Ladies and gentlemen, here we reach the climax of our story." The individual announced loudly. William let go of your hand and took a step forward, seeming to somewhat recognize the dangerous, ominous tone.

"Wait... what.....?" You heard William ask, in confusion to who was speaking. It most definitely did not sound like jim... You began to panic, now that william had left you once again empty-handed. (heh, pun intended) The darkness felt like it was closing in on you, you were hysteric over the rising suspense. The feeling of not knowing, nor being able too see what would happen next petrified you.

And just as all your worst nightmares would concur, a firm hand clasped over your mouth from behind, jerking you back into the neverending black pit of oblivion.