Arc 3.4 Ruler of the Night

" "Your Majesty!" " The gathered ministers collectively gasped.

"You vile assassin! Let go of His Majesty at once!" The unreasonable minister who wanted to raises taxes to stop the nobles from complaining about their disappearing peasants yelled with spit flying all over the place, and his eyes were wide open and bulging.

Who the hell would do what you said just because you said so?

"Oh? And if I refuse?" Cecily smirked and dug her sword deeper into the fat king's neck, drawing blood.

"Stop! Please let me live!" The king squealed at the feeling of his own blood dripping down his glob of a neck, "You idiots! Don't just stand there gawking! Call the guards in immediately!"

As if they had just received a divine revelation, the ministers quickly snapped out of their daze and called for the imperial guards standing just outside of the throne room.

Cecily's bone-chilling chuckle resounded throughout the expansive hall as she abruptly slit the king's throat as if exsanguinating a chicken whilst waving at her panicking crowd and the entering knights with her free hand, "Don't even bother." 

Having gotten rid of her hostage, she briskly bolted throughout the room, slashing open the throats of those corrupted officials she had used this short time period to observe as she moved. The knights who had finally registered that the situation was extremely dire, immediately attempted to retaliate and catch the assassin who was currently running wild in her killing spree.

Dark blood sprayed chaotically throughout the room and onto the living's bodies. By the end of the bloodbath, from the initial 20 officials in the room, only 7 were left. The knights were left untouched by Cecily as she gracefully and accurately dodged their assaults as if they were moving in slow motion and she was at mach seven. Furthermore, if she didn't have time to avoid their attacks, she just used the corpses as meat shields.

As Cecily had already completed her task, she decided that it was time to go. However, at the same moment she tossed a corpse shield onto the ground and turned to flee, warning bells started ringing in her head and she instantly dropped down onto the bloodied floor and rolled sideways. Crouching low and facing the spot she used to be standing, Cecily saw a large furry figure whirl through the air with a malicious snarl. If her sharp ears had not picked up on the shift in the direction of the airflow and promptly made the decision to move from her previous spot, her head would have been snapped right off from the rest of her body.

"A werewolf?!" The knights were in utter disorder as their previous formation was instantly disrupted and fell apart at the appearance of the new enemy.

The surviving ministers were not any better off. In fact, since they generally had no combat abilities, they were scurrying around trying to hide behind the imperial guards, hindering the knights even more. 

"Wow. Even filthy dogs could enter the castle now?" Cecily snorted disdainfully at the farce. 

She left those ministers alive only because the new king would need a basic foundation in order to smoothly rule, and she had to consider the fact that the people could be dissatisfied if all of the officials were replaced along with the king. They could come up with all sorts of unreasonable mudslinging like "The new king definitely assassinated his own father and his ministers so he could take over without complaints!" 

In short, she was taking precautions against those who would claim the king had performed a coup by becoming the perpetrator.

Unfortunately because of this, Cecily was forced to save their lives.

"I only came here to clean up the royal family and purge the corruption within the government. How about this? If you let me appoint the next king, I promise to save your lives," Cecily graciously offered a hand while she fended off the werewolf.

Seeing her fighting on equal terms - no, she was playing with the werewolf - the knights actually inwardly hoped that the officials they were guarding with their lives would agree. They even stopped attacking Cecily and aided her in injuring the large auburn wolf every once in a while.

The ministers saw that their own knights were dealing extra damage on the side while the lavender-eyed slim figure took the aggro and hesitated in answering. They all shared one thought: This person left us alive and probably won't let us die anyway, so why don't we let things continue as they are right now?

Unfortunately for them, Cecily didn't allow them to immerse themselves into complacency for very long as she started leading the large wolf to a random official and allowed it to inflict a large gash wound on his chest with its oversized claws, instantaneously killing him and spraying his blood all over the surroundings.

"Who wants to be next?" Her cold voice with no feelings whatsoever brought them out of their reverie and they immediately broke out into a cold sweat.

"Okay! Okay! We will do whatever you ask, kill the damn wolf!" The minister who had proposed to assuage the nobles by heightening the security of the knights in the previous chapter was the quickest to respond. 

He wasn't so scared for his life as he was just being quick-witted. He had a family to feed and his job as an official had always been unsatisfactory with the old king. Now that the king was dead, he hoped that he could accomplish more and help lead the new king onto a righteous path.

Satisfied with the old man's sharp wits, Cecily immediately jumped behind the ferocious wolf who had seemingly lost its own sanity and slashed her sword downwards vertically,  splitting it in cleanly in half.

The dastardly sight of the black blood spurting all over Cecily's gloomy figure as she donned a sinister smile with her matchless pair of lavender eyes and the glimmering amethysts of the Sword of Oblivion was deeply imprinted into the minds of every being within the throne room. 

A sudden series of clapping rained down upon the entourage from the entrance of the room, causing everyone - Cecily included - to turn towards the source. 

"A wonderful performance. May I also partake in this spectacle?" 

There stood a large man leaning against the golden frame of the door, wearing only a seductive shimmering black fur coat that exposed his naked and tanned 8-pack abs and a pair of jeans that clearly defined his muscular thighs and calves. His black hair had an otherworldly golden luster under the lighting of the chandelier and his piercing golden eyes were dark and held a hint of possessiveness that was only magnified further with his playful smirk. The slightly bared fangs further added an air of sexiness to the man who Cecily immediately identified.

"Hugh Noir of the South," She shivered in excitement and utter abhorrence as she muttered his name under her breath; she couldn't hide the smile creeping into her cherry-red lips.