Arc 5.31 Empress of Four Kingdoms

Li Feifei and Hua Shen listened to Long Zheng's advice and snuck into Shi's capital to play.

Hua Shen strongly denied that claim—he had planned to take his wife to the shopping district of the capital from the very beginning ah!

Even though the kingdom was in a compromising state, the public did not know. This was thanks to not only the low-key manner in which the operation was being handled on the part of the assailants, but perhaps also due to those officials and royals in the know, if any, for obvious reasons.

The streets were teeming with raucous chatter and sales promotions. There was hardly any space between each individual—everyone was literally packed like sardines!

Shi wasn't as prominent for its trade as Zhao was, but it was after all an established kingdom. What's more, this shopping district was located in the kingdom's capital.

Of course, even with the lack of breathing room between people, there were ways to navigate through the crowd to get to the stalls and shops that they needed by taking advantage of the minute and brief gaps that sporadically appear.

Naturally, in order to not get lost, separated, or dragged away by the crowd, Hua Shen's powerful and hot arm was snuggly wrapped around Li Feifei's thin and lithe waist.

Not that it had ever been removed in the first place.

As a kingdom known for its literal arts, the shops that lined the streets comprised mostly of those specializing in selling glamorous clothes, jewelry, musical instruments, or books. The small stalls that were placed in small alleys and crevices between the larger prominent storefronts were individually owned with smaller knacks and snacks that were more popular among the women and children.

Even though Li Feifei and Hua Shen weren't wearing their most luxurious robes in lieu of the place and occasion, they both still stuck out like two sore thumbs due to their otherworldly appearances and relatively well-off and matching dark blue noble attire.

It didn't have to be said that Hua Shen's towering height and slightly tanned robust build was unbecoming of his young age and especially distinguished him from the crowd of citizens of a kingdom known for its literati. His loose, long, and wild hair gave away his unruly temper different from the cultured and refined air that radiated from scholars. Moreover, his unique pair of ruby-red eyes were cold and unfeeling when not resting upon the small woman in his arms.

Speaking of the woman, Li Feifei was not too short at all. It was only because she was directly sidled next to her devil that she seemed particularly childish. However, her flowing robes did nothing to cover her exquisite curves. And no one would have been able to guess that the one responsible for her swiftly yet meticulously-done hairstyle—two braided buns wrapped around the rest of her freely flowing long, black hair—was the intimidating man holding her! Her pair of charming, large black eyes did not reflect a feeling of naivety and innocence like one would assume, but instead gave the wearer a feeling of mischief and curiosity.

Although the two did garner countless gazes from the surrounding masses, they were after all in a busy shopping area. Only those in their immediate premises unavoidably paid attention to them. Of course, so did the keen stall owners and sales clerks who kept watch for potential customers in front of their stores.

The two selectively chose to ignore the grand restaurants for the time being in favor of the directly stimulating stalls and performances lining the street.

"Tanghulu! Only 5 copper per stick!"

"Are you a tourist? Our Shi's stinky tofu is famed for its especially pungent odor from miles away! And it's only 10 copper per platter ah!"