Arc 5.16 Empress of Four Kingdoms

This general was offering his own daughter up to be a concubine on a silver platter!

He humbly gestured to Bai Yiyi beside him. She truly had delicate looks worthy of a concubine as she bowed coyly and "bashfully" introduced herself, imperceptibly fluttering her lashes at Hua Shen.

"Yiyi, greets Your Majesty and Emperor Hua!"

Emperor Li tilts his head towards Hua Shen with a slight smile. If they had not discussed before regarding this matter then this could have been General Bai making things tough for both him and Hua Shen to decline even if Hua Shen didn't want to take in concubines at this moment (which he didn't).

After all, General Bai had used the reasoning that Li Feifei, his only daughter whom he doted so much on, would be all alone in a foreign place with no one to rely on. Even though it was obvious that with Bai Yiyi's intent on becoming Hua Shen's concubine was far from friendly and could even be regarded as hostile, but it was true that they were fellow countrywomen and from the common people's surface-limit point of view rejecting their offer could only be marring Li Feifei's reputation as lacking virtuosity and magnanimity.

Fortunately, they had already made countermeasures when Hua Shen had proposed to his daughter. So, without any hesitation Emperor Li threw this hot potato to Hua Shen to handle.

"What does Emperor Hua think?"

He didn't even bother hinting his standpoint on the matter.

Hua Shen's unruly hand caressed Li Feifei's thin waist as he didn't so much as glance towards the father-daughter pair below. His eyes remained fixed on his little wife who was intently appraising the girl with a faint light in her eyes.

Displeased as he knew she was up to no good right before him, Hua Shen's voice was laced with annoyance.

"Zhen will have to refuse General Bai's generous offer. Zhen can't afford to be wrapped around two foreign women's fingers. One is enough."

Though it was impossible to be wrapped around another woman's fingers as he'd told them but that was just a formality.

Hua shen continued with the promise he made with Emperor Li, "Furthermore, Zhen has promised father-in-law while making the alliance agreement, to never take in concubines. Is General Bai implying for Our two countries to war rather than allying by breaking this promise that was included within the marriage agreement?"

General Bai visibly paled, and Bai Yiyi who was about to cry fake tears at his earlier rejection immediately sucked up her tears and started trembling with her head bowed.

General Bai immediately denied. "That, that wasn't this General's intent at all! If this General were aware, then naturally this General never would have considered it!"

Hua Shen laughed but there was no mirth in those cold pair of red eyes that never even glimpsed at the two figures below, "Then General Bai must be blaming Zhen for not being generous enough to tell all of the details within Zhen's marriage agreement."

General Bai kowtowed profusely with cold sweat drenching his back, "This General wouldn't dare, wouldn't dare!"

As Hua Shen had only been paying attention to Li Feifei during the exchange of words, how could he not have noticed her eyes dimming in disappointment? In fact, she had stared back up at him with blame in her eyes as if asking him if he was sane.

Sure, in the previous world Li Feifei felt that all women were her enemies. It was reasonable as they were so very hateful and more annoying than pesky flies. The female lead was a literal enemy of humankind as well as her mission's assassination target, and her best friend was a blind follower. Handling her own sister was a part of her own task, and the female lead's sister was simply courting death by threatening their baby.