Arc 3.8 Ruler of the Night

A/N: I am sorry for the late update OTL Since it was Labor Day weekend, the professors ganged up on me and were like, "EYYYY LABOR DAY WEEKEND MEANS YALL HAVE TIME FOR PROJECTS AND HOMEWORK" *Throws confetti and textbooks, assignments, and even more projects at the poor students*

.

.

.

Arc 3.8 Ruler of the Night

Even though Mathias was leading the way for the two in the front of the trio, who was he? The butler was a competent old man who could easily single-handedly slay a small group of werewolves with only silver cutlery (A/N: got them Sebby vibes. Can't have a butler without a little bit of Sebastian amirite). Of course he was aware of the two's quiet interaction behind him without having to turn his head.

Mathias inwardly sighed, Why is it that they resemble the Old Madame and Old Master in their later years? No, that can't be possible. Lady Cecily had only been gone for two years! And Master Urian has been keeping an eye on Sir Hugh the entire time and they couldn't have met within those two years. What's going on???

Before he could make any crazy assumptions regarding their relationship, they'd already arrived at Urian's office. The two lovebirds were no longer pasted against each other and Mathias knocked twice gently on the dark stained mahogany door before announcing, "Master Urian, Sir Hugh has returned."

He didn't relay Cecily's presence because he wanted to pleasantly surprise his master who had been gloomy ever since the death of his son and daughter-in-law, and even more so when Cecily left in a fit of rage and disappointment.

"Come in," sounded a rugged, yet still powerful voice from the other side of the door.

Given permission to enter, Mathias pushed the heavy door open and bowed to let the two guests enter the large office.

It was just as Cecily remembered with the numerous towering bookshelves filled to the brim with books over every subject. A large window with its long red curtains were drawn to the side for natural lighting; Urian's desk was the same make and shade as the door--dark stained mahogany.

The dignified old man's head was lowered as he read through the documents piled in hills in front of him, creating a somber atmosphere. Upon noticing that more than one guest had entered the room, he casually glanced towards the two figures who had just entered and were still rather a ways away from him since the office was quite grand in scale. When his disinterested gaze fell on Cecily, he widened his watering dark purple eyes and his fingers trembled noticeably as the papers in his hands fell onto the desk and some to the floor messily. He promptly and roughly rose from his oxblood vinyl high-back office chair, toppling it. His arms were poised on the desk to steady himself as his lips quivered and his voice audibly shook, "C-Cici..."

Hugh vaguely quirked his lips at the adorable nickname.

The pleasant memories of the original flowed into Cecily's mind when she heard the nostalgic name that she hadn't heard for over two years. Her grandfather had always doted on his only granddaughter while he was strict with his two older grandsons. When she was a young child, she often sat on his lap when he had to take over his son's neglected responsibilities in this office to read books and out of curiosity she would even read some of his documents together with him. Her father hated being a responsible family head and preferred going out on romantic dates with his wife. Her grandmother had died of a chronic illness not long before her birth, so she never met her.

When Cecily had returned from the gathering to find her family massacred and the mansion littered with their remains and a large man gracefully standing amidst all of the chaos with his hands coated with her loved ones' blood, she had thought she was left all alone in the world when he walked over to her and whispered into her ear only to pin the blame on Hugh Noir of the South before disappearing. That was until her grandfather and Mathias had strolled in on their carriage from a business inspection and Urian immediately ran up to her and brought her into a warm and safe embrace, shielding her eyes from the violent scene that should have never been shown to his sweet, spoiled, and innocent granddaughter's eyes. Upon contact with someone she trusted and missed dearly, the waterworks instantly broke free.