Arc 5.19 Empress of Four Kingdoms

The next morning, Hua Shen did not want to wake up his wife from her sleep. After all, even if they'd returned early the previous evening, she didn't sleep until almost sunrise due to his vigorous activities that resembled the night prior.

In the end, he had managed to expertly dress her up as she slept like a log, by seating her up against the head of the bed and slipping on the official wedding robe he had prepared for her.

Unlike the previous night's gown, this wedding robe was even more extravagant, and the shade of red was more vibrant by manifolds. Instead of having golden embroidery intricately laced around the hems and sleeves of the dress like the former, this wedding outer robe was purely red as customary for ancient-set weddings.

The phoenix on the back of the robe not only had four talons as traditional for the Empresses of the Li and Shi kingdoms but also nine tails that danced in the red sky of the dress, symbolizing her status as the Empress of Hua and Zhao.

It was embroidered using a lighter shade of red than the fabric of the robe, giving the entire gown a shimmer effect when viewed under the rays of the sun. Flames of similar, some lighter and darker, also fanned and spanned around the phoenix as it flexed its large wings arrogantly.

Each of its tails led towards their own respective directions on the expanse of the fabric as if interweaving a tale of death and rebirth.

As each of the four kingdoms used the phoenix as the symbol for the Empress, Hua Shen was basically declaring to the whole world that his Empress was going to reign above the four kingdoms together with him.

Similarly to the customs that could be blatantly seen with just a single glance on the back of Li Feifei's robe, Hua Shen's red wedding robe had possessed a formidable qilin with the figure of a scaled war-horse, two antler-esque horns, and dragon claws instead of hooves. It had a long mane, whiskers, and a beard. The reptilian tail had a the tuft of hair at the end resembling a lion's tail somewhat.

Even though Hua Shen had yet to become the Emperor of the four kingdoms, it possessed six claws which solidified his rule as the emperor of the kingdoms that used dragons as the symbol of their rulers.

Both the Li and Zhao kingdoms used the dragon to symbolize their Emperors, while the Hua and Shi kingdoms used the qilin.

To Hua Shen and Li Feifei, this wasn't treachery, it was a declaration.

But the people and ministers of Li did not know of the agreement between their Emperor and Hua Shen yet, so when Hua Shen was seen riding on his horse with the red gown, those with sharp eyes couldn't help but to take in deep breaths at the young emperor's arrogance!

Some felt that maybe Emperor Li did not know about the matter, so they sent people to alert him. However, when they got to the throne room, the Emperor was nowhere in sight. He was also not in the study or even in his own palace, resting! For a short while, everyone in the palace was panicking so they sent for the Empress.

However, the Empress was also missing ah!

Maybe if they were more composed they would have been able to find a little note on the Emperor's desk in the study that read, "Zhen will be back. Take care of things for Zhen."

Unfortunately, he forgot that his most competent eunuch had tagged along with him and his Empress on this undercover journey to send off their daughter.

Thankfully, Li Yun happened to be in the palace at the time of the panic and quelled it before it got serious. He simply sighed when he found the slip, handing it to his own men to take care of the mess made by his Imperial Father before also setting off to send off his beloved little sister.