Chapter 35

When they got home after dinner, Betty went straight to the apartment and jughead went to the office to do some work. He told FP, fangs, sweetpea and Toni about what Betty's therapist said so they could also help and look out of tell tale signs of stress that could harm Betty or the baby. "Son, you have to trust Betty will come to you if she doesn't feel okay" FP said. "I know" Jug sighed. "I just... dad, I've seen her beat herself up about the smallest things and now with the trial...we have the baby to think about" Jug said. FP clapped jugheads shoulder. "Everything Will be just fine jug" he said before leaving jughead alone in the office.

When he went back up to the apartment he couldn't find Betty anywhere, until he heard her singing softly in the nursery. He opened the door and watched as she held a baby blanket in her hand and was gently moving her hand across the crib. Her voice was almost haunting. "Betts?" He said carefully, not wanting to startle her. "Hey Jug" she smiled, which he couldn't help but return. "What are you doing in here baby?" He said. "Just making sure everything was here, that we hadn't missed anything off the list" she said as he took the blanket out of her hand and folded it over the crib. He grabbed her hand and squeezed. "Betty, we have plenty of time to sort things out if we forgot anything, we have five months~" but was cut off by Betty. "Four and a half" she insisted. Jughead looked at her, with concern in his eyes; he'd been warned about this. "Baby, you need to relax, your therapist said to find a hobby not to obsess over things okay? This is important, you need to relax" he said and she sighed and let her head fall to his chest. "Okay! Yeah you're right. Tomorrow I'll look for a hobby" she agreed.

The next morning when jughead woke up Betty wasn't in bed next to him. "Betts?" He called through the apartment; no answer. He pulled on some sweats and ran down to the bar, his heart racing. He stopped in his tracks and sighed in relief when he saw his wife sat at a table, a chocolate croissant and tea next to her while she searched through some books. "She's been here for an hour" Toni said from behind the bar. Jughead nodded and made his way over, sliding in next to her and slinging an arm around her. "Hey you" he said and kissed her softly. "Morning juggie" she smiled. "What are you doing? I missed you in bed" he said. "Sorry, I just kept thinking about finding a hobby and I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd start looking" she smiled. "Okay then, what have you got so far" he asked. "Ermm... painting, knitting, playing an instrument and learning a new language" she said. "Okay, well chose one and let's try it" he said.

This is how jughead came home from a run to find the serpents all sat around the dinner table wearing colourful Wooled hats and scarves, not very well made but still. "What's going on?" Jug asked amused looking around. "Ask your wife" Sweetpea grumbled, sporting his own bright orange scarf. "What?" Jug laughed but his questioned was answered by Betty running at him and jumping into his arms. "Ooof! Hello to you to!" He laughed and kissed her head. "You're home! I made this for you!" She said excitedly and held up a ragged Grey scarf to match his beanie. Jug looked down at it, he wasn't going to lie, Betty wasn't great at knitting but he looked into her hopeful eyes and watched as she looked at him in awe, waiting to see what he thought and he decided he'd wear it not matter what anyone said. "I love it betts" he smiled and she jumped up and down excitedly. "Look I made a blanket for the baby!" She grinned and held up a yellow blanket. "It's great betts" he said and they sat down for dinner. While Betty was chatting about her new hobby to the other serpents FP turned to jughead. "I told you it was going to be okay".